cutt off marks for kent grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CoolParent123

Re: cutt off marks for kent grammar schools

Post by CoolParent123 »

Hi Ladymuck,

My DS scored 407, We preferred Wilsons over Judd or Skinners due to a distance factor.
Else, both Kent Schools are second to none.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

You are right.... These 23 have not just turned down Indies .... I heard ppl have turned down Wilsons for St. Olives and places offered in Waitlist for QE and Tiffins Boys.

On the otherside I heard that there are atleast 3-4 students who turned down offers from Whitgift and Trinity for Wilsons :D

Nonsuch is most preferred school .....but it could be the otherway too for Wallington Girls.

Some ppl have personal choice :)
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

DS joined Olave's. We turned down all other options - Wilson (didn't like the area), Judd (train travel) and DGS (too far).

He has met other boys in the school who did the same. I think it depends on where you live and possible options.
CoolParent123

Post by CoolParent123 »

It could just be a reporting error :D or deliberately not reporting when the acceptance rate is not high.
When Wilsons have offered 203 places... I am very sure Other Boys and Girls Schools too would have offered more places .....its just ppl moving around based on their preferences and moving across KENT - SUTTON - LONDON Schools :D
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Deleted by user.
Last edited by Ladymuck on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anto999

Post by anto999 »

Does anyone have the 2014 cutoffs ( i/c and o/c both ) for DGS ?
confusedmum.com

Post by confusedmum.com »

Just some points to note:

• Put the schools in your preferred order – you don’t know what the cut off will be, so rather than second guessing, make sure you put down what you really want first. Scores could be lower than expected and you would hate to miss out on a school you thought you did not have a chance to get. The schools do not know where you have placed them on the form and you will, where possible, be offered your first placed school.

• Accept the school you are given, even if you don’t want it, unless you have an independent backup you are happy with. It would not look good in an appeal situation if you have turned down a school leaving your child stranded. In fact, if that school is so unsuitable for your child it may help at appeal, to show how your chosen school is more suitable. (I know you are not appealing against a school but for one! But something like logistics of getting to a school could be a consideration)

• If your child passes the 11+ and you put down both grammar and non-grammar schools on your CAF and you don’t fulfil the admissions criteria for your chosen grammar (i.e. catchment or super selective), you will be given your non-grammar choice. We had kids who passed their 11+ and were not offered grammar school places because of this and the kids who only listed grammar school places on their CAF were offered alternative grammar schools they had not listed – but at least they were still offered grammar school places. Reports are that they are happily settling in to this grammar.

• I understood that you could only go on a wait list if you had put the school on your CAF form. You need to send back a form requesting to go on the waiting list when you accept your allocated school. You can go on as many waiting lists that you want to.

• Waiting list and appeals are two different beasts – you can tackle both at the same time.

• Skinners cut-off last year at the first round was half way through 406 – I know, as we missed out having scored 406, though we got a waiting list place at second allocation.

• There were less top scorers last year (somewhere on this site is a fantastic breakdown of how many got each mark over 400 for girls and boys). They lowered bottom threshold to get the 25% passing the test.
In the 2013 test 87 girls (both in & out of catchment) got 423 and there were 205 boys – that’s a total of 292 scoring 423. In the 2012 test 252 girls got 423 and 413 boys got top marks – that’s a total of 665 scoring 423. A massive 373 difference from year to year - so just dont know! Just out of interest, in 2011 there were 589 getting a top score of 420. You will see that more boys than girls get top marks but the scores required for the super selectives in West Kent are always higher for the boys grammars than the girls.

Hope this helps. Confusedmum.com
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

Is the caf form the one you do online? Also if you want to go on the waiting list where do you obtain the form? Or are all offers formally put in writing and in the post or do we do all this online? Sorry all new to me.thanks