Could a statement be a disadvantage?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Could a statement be a disadvantage?

Post by ToadMum »

In Southend, as far as I can see from our Secondary Admissions booklet, 'statemented' children have a separate application route, i.e. their parents don't complete the normal CAF. Using DS2's GS as an example, in the school's admissions policy, it states, 'Where the school is named in a child’s statement of special educational needs and the child passes the selection tests, the school and the Local Authority have a duty to admit the child..

Are things organised differently in Kent?

I appreciate that the system is not as simple as it sounds; one of DD's friends from Scouts had a statement and it took his mum months to get the school she wanted to attend to accept him.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
salsa

Post by salsa »

It sounds as if the SENCO doesn't want any more work! Not a reason not to try, though, especially if you already have a child at the school. Logistically it could be hard for you to have them in separate schools.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The secondary transfer is discussed as part of the Annual Review of the statement.
From what we gather in Kent, children who already have a statement (rather than EHP) will be reviewed as before ,this year.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In Bucks I understand that Secondary transfer was discussed at the end of Year 5 review.
Oblique

Post by Oblique »

If secondary schools weren't discussed at your annual review in June then I expect you will be having another review soon! The 15th Feb is the magic date when the statement must be finalised. You may also find that your statement will morph into a EHCP at this review, if it is decided DS still needs additional help.

I think Toadmum is correct and Kent has a similar arrangement for SEN children so that they don't go through the usual admission process. The SENCO at your current school should be able to advise you. There was something to this effect on the KCC website, but I can't find it now.

Funding arrangements are poorly understood and there are grey areas between education needs, health needs and social needs and which department should pay for what. With the new EHCP's this should be a thing of the past.

Not currently having any SEN pupils is not a reason not to welcome new pupils with SEN. How does the SENCO know she won't be able to meet your son's needs? His primary manage it. If you really want this school, she will be invited to the review and will have the opportunity to discuss with the current SENCO how DS's needs have been met and what the new school will have to do to continue this.

I will have to dig in my files for a recommended EP. Too late tonight!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Can the SENCO name a school you don't want in the statement? What if they feel that a grammar school would not be appropriate, for example too demanding? Do the parents have a say on what goes on the statement?
Oblique

Post by Oblique »

The parents/child should be fully involved in writing the statement/EHCP and the draft can go back and forth several times before it is agreed. In our case, we wanted a specific school but the LA wanted another. After lots of wrangling, the LA choice of school was named on the secondary transfer statement. We appealed and won.

With the new legislation, the needs of the child/YP have to be central to the whole process and the LA must offer a place at the school chosen by the family. BUT... the 3 points I listed up thread still hold. And as much as the LA need to listen to the views of the parents, the parents also need to consider the opinions and recommendations of the professionals involved.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The Educational advice which is sent in after the Annual review is the minutescof the review. Parents , school and any other agencies involved (eg ED psych, CLinical psychologist, Speech and language etc) should be invited to the review and provide written report even if they are unable to attend. In some cases ( though not all) the AEN officer resoponsible will also atten.
Jannaj

Post by Jannaj »

Sent you a PM... :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now