Pass mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kellyw3

Pass mark

Post by kellyw3 »

At an open evening tonight our local grammar HT announced that the scoring is as follows:

Maximum score of 420, being 140 for 3 sections, English, Maths and Reasoning. Children must score 320 to pass with a minimum per section of 106........
Ladymuck

Re: Pass mark

Post by Ladymuck »

So that's a much lower score than was needed under the old exam. Interesting. Seems very odd that if 100 is the mean, that the passmark would be so close to the mean?

WOuld you mind disclosing the grammar school (to save us googling open evening dates!).
kellyw3

Post by kellyw3 »

Borden Grammar in Sittingbourne, the HT said in a round about way that the pass mark is a lot lower, as little as 50% raw score was required to pass....
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Depending on when your child's birthday is, the pass mark is usually just under 50% (or has been in teh three years I have had Spring born children taking it in the past).
Kentishmaid

Post by Kentishmaid »

The raw pass mark is usually about 50%, it seems that this year that standardised to 106/107. I agree, that is very close to the mean- but I saw elsewhere someone suggesting that this would bring it in line with CAT test standardisation.
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

Kentishmaid wrote:The raw pass mark is usually about 50%, it seems that this year that standardised to 106/107. I agree, that is very close to the mean- but I saw elsewhere someone suggesting that this would bring it in line with CAT test standardisation.

I saw that but I think if you look at the analysis on there it is more likely the test was harder than they changed the standardisation - which is the scarier scenario!

DaddyOh
salsa

Post by salsa »

Interesting to see they've given equal weight to English and Maths.
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

salsa wrote:Interesting to see they've given equal weight to English and Maths.
yes...thats a worry for me :?
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

It was me who made that suggestion elsewhere. 'Link' is my other pseudonym.

I was not (I don't think) referring to the 'standardisation' of the CAT test as such, but merely the spread of the scores, which I feel could be similar to cats. It seems to me that the difficulty of the test has caused a much larger amount of dc's than normal to score close to the mean (100).
So I expect to see a large clump of scores around and close to the average (90-110), with far fewer scores in the higher and lower range. This is just literally what I think and I am not an expert, I have no analytic skills to speak of other than typical Maths. I'm just an over-interested/obsessed/scared parent :oops:

Edit: I just checked elsewhere and have seen new info (from an expert) that you may have been referring to. So please ignore me on both accounts :lol:
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

Thank you. You'd hope this meant judd etc would take say 390 plus but alas they will still take the top 150 boys so rob ably still 420 ish.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now