Nervy Tummy when reading this forum plus Medway results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gravesendgal

Nervy Tummy when reading this forum plus Medway results

Post by gravesendgal »

Does anyone else feel really nervous and feel like they need to visit the loo (Sorry TMI) when they read this forum?

I just saw the thread about the 106 mark and I feel sick with nerves (again)

My DS is an above average kid but no where near cream of the crop but he's worked really hard and I want him to be rewarded for his efforts...

As every day passes I'm convinced he wont have passed!

Also does anyone think/know whether the Medway test is much easier than the Kent? 98% of the kids at my DS's school who sat both kent and medway appear to have passed Medway - and so the heat is off for them, i'm kicking myself for not letting DS sit the Medway now :( :? :roll:
frangipani

Re: Nervy Tummy when reading this forum plus Medway results

Post by frangipani »

I feel nervous and sick every time I think about this test so goodness knows why I still keep coming on here!

I have heard that Medway test is easier because the way the scoring is done allows strengths to outweigh weaknesses.
Kentishmaid

Post by Kentishmaid »

Medway weight the verbal and the writing more than the maths, so I guess it depends where your strengths lie. I think I heard (on he who cnat be named ) that more girls than boys pass Medway, possible as a result of the weighting.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

That's not quite correct, Kentishmaid - in Medway the writing and the maths are weighted more than the verbal reasoning. The scores for writing and maths are doubled and added to the VR score and that is the total.

It is true that more girls pass in Medway and that this is probably due to the emphasis on the writing - it isn't standardised, whereas the maths is, and more boys (and possibly younger girls) will struggle with the writing at the age of the test.

But the Medway test doesn't require a pass in each paper, so it can accommodate a weakness in one area.

It is a matter of horses for courses - I got my DS to sit both Kent and Medway as he was weaker in English (and his Kent was a better score), but my DD only did Medway as she was stronger in English and weaker in maths, so no benefit in trying the Kent test.

Good luck to you all - strangely although my last took the test two years ago, I still pop on occasionally and feel a sympathetic nerviness for you.
Kentishmaid

Post by Kentishmaid »

Oh lord sorry think I was thinking of Bexley where verbal is more! I only really know about Kent, and bits people mention here! Thanks for getting it right. :oops: