Out of Catchment Score for Kent Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gravesendgal

Re: Out of Catchment Score for Kent Grammar Schools

Post by gravesendgal »

@happylilly

Gravesend Grammar goes by distance - so a pass will suffice. My DS scored 361 and we are local.
HappyLilly

Post by HappyLilly »

@gravesendgal
Many congratulations on your DS making it and having an assured place.....

The dilemma we have is we are in Essex ie OOC. We can move to Kent only if DS gets a place in a GS in Kent (score 359).
The question for us is with that score and being out of county, which schools to apply so that DS has the best chance of making the cut...... :?

Thanks
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

HappyLilly, if you live in Essex you realistically are only going to get a place at one of the super selectives which rank according to score eg Judd or Skinners as opposed to requiring a mere pass and ranking according to distance. What no one knows this year is how far the entry cut off will fall for the super selectives. I would hazard a guess that 359 might not be enough but I just don't know and nor does anyone. The alternative is investigating whether there are any GS ( possibly in East Kent) which do not normally fill up all their places and which will offer places on distance irrespective of where you live. I suggest that you need to start doing some thorough research asap including going to see possible schools - they are all very different and may or may not suit your son.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Happy Lily - Dartford Grammar School take 90 boys based on score regardless of residence. The Open Evening is next Thursday. I think Wilmington Boys also take 10% based on score.
HappyLilly

Post by HappyLilly »

@ Twinkle

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.....we will start with research.....fingers crossed....
J2Mum

Post by J2Mum »

Thanks for your encouraging replies. You have given me more tools for the decision process.
Mumof2boyskent

Post by Mumof2boyskent »

sandred wrote: I spoke to the school yesterday (already have 2 boys there) and they have no idea where it will fall. Depends on how many apply and what their scores are. She said she's not heard of a huge number of 400+ scores though, when there cut off on the old test has nearly always been over 400 - (418 2 years ago and 416 I think last year). It is bound to fall significantly this year
It's good to hear from a school that there aren't a huge amount of scores 400+, gives those of with scores of 380's & 390's some hope!
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

I think that there are SO many rumours - we need facts!!

There are a handful of children at DS's school (state primary) who have scores over 400, but they are all girls and everyone is being very cagey about scores. DS has a score of over 385 (but in his CATs and practices was well over 410-415) so he's not done as well as we were expecting and I'm nervous about whether he'll get a place at Skinners or not, which is where he really wants to go. It will help that we are about as close to the school as we can be, but until we know how the distribution of scores lie, I'm not feeling confident, even with what seems to be (according to the rumour mill on here) an adequate score. March (or the revelations from the FOIs) can't come soon enough!
Sai

Post by Sai »

Happylilly,
We are also in a similar situation as yours.
We live in Essex looking to move to Kent in case my DS gets a place in one of the schools there.My DS has scored 356. It would be great if you could share any information that would be any help to us and I will do the same.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now