Judd with 404?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Boggins' Dad

Re: Judd with 404?

Post by Boggins' Dad »

381 here. Not sure whether that likely to cut the mustard for Judd or Dartford...

Being in Bromley either would be a significant commute.

Decisions, decisions...!
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Would your decision as to what to put on the CAF be any different if he had scored 401?
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Last year my son got a high score, it was above the cut off the previous year for Skinners but would not have got him into Judd that year. Our CAF was Skinners, MGS, OPGS, local comp. However, both schools put on an extra class and the score required for both schools went way down. By March 2nd it was clear that he could have got into Judd. We are not as thrilled with Skinners as I thought we would be and I often wonder what might have happened if we had put Judd first on the form......

I would perhaps suggest that you put them schools in the order that you want them, you have 4 choices so plenty of room for you to put them all on the form. As Ladymuch says, don't play it safe with your first option as you might end up with it and kick yourself come March 2nd. (24 hours after allocation by which time it becomes clear what the scores needed might be)
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

My DS got 417 (Maths - 141, Reasoning - 141, English - 135), and we are OOCs, will we get Judd or Dartford Boys?

Can any one advise what is best score to qualify into Judd and Dartford boys?
anotherworriedmum

I would think you will get the one you put on the top of your form with that score. Which one do you and your son prefer?
confusedmum.com

Post by confusedmum.com »

Really agree with Anotherworriedmum and Ladymuck - put the schools in the order you really want them. Last year my DS scored very well - over 400 but in the previous year would not have got either Judd or Skinners yet we still put them down in that order with two other grammars (no high schools - as we did not want to risk the chance of getting a HS place over a grammar school place as some of DS's friends eventually got when they did this). DS got offered a grammar school place we had not not listed on our CAF in March and at reallocation he was offered Skinners (he had been at the cut off point in March but lost out due to distance). We got Judd on appeal. He is very happy and we are very glad we went through the whole painful process but it is another six months of worry and stress. He has a friend at Skinners who is happy and friends at OPGS (Maidstone) who are happy.

Last year, his class got kids in on appeal to Invicta, OPGS & TWBGS who had just missed out on passing the 11+

The lesson is: you really dont know what anyone got, where they want to go & what the cut off scores might be - so put the schools in the order you want and if you think you have a chance of appeal - go for it.
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

anotherworriedmum wrote:I would think you will get the one you put on the top of your form with that score. Which one do you and your son prefer?

Thanks for your positive reply :)

I am not sure, I was thinking Dartford earlier as I was not aware about Judd, with the recent reading on Forum I came to know Judd is good and it is performing better in Oxbridge.

So not sure now, can you recommend choice of yours among these 2?
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

Loving your Machiavellian honesty, LadyMuck :D
Billie

Post by Billie »

Warrior - Check out the Judd website and book a tour for next Wednesday morning quick... they have added a slot as they were fully booked. Of course their A level results are good, you can't stay on to sixth form unless you pass a minimum threshold and then in Year 12 if your As levels aren't good enough you have to go. Please don't just go on oxbridge results... think about where your son would be happy.
anotherworriedmum

I would recommend Judd but then I live near it and I have never been to DGS :lol: Seriously, what one is better for your son is not just about the exams results, which one will support him, caters for his individual needs, where will be happy etc, he has got to be involved in the decision rather than a random mum on a forum! Have you been to see them both?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now