Advice ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Loopy Lou

Advice ?

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hello all, my first posting here and an emotional journey with our first naive experience with 11 plus.

My DC had his heart set on one of the super selectives and we are very proud as he passed the test with no private tuition. However, we don't think his overall score will be good enough. He was just a couple points shy of top score in reasoning and English but only just got Maths- his strongest subject, he is already working at a Level 6. We kind of knew he would not get an overall top score as he admitted he left over a quarter of the questions out when he came out of the test. we kind of told him forget about it its done hurrah and you did the best you can . Only later did we discover it was due to an incident with another child in the test which upset him. Now having seen his marks we feel it may have had quite an impact.

My question is how on earth at this late stage could we document this and get proof if we wanted to appeal at a later date? Thanks for any advice. Feel free to PM.
mystery

Re: Advice ?

Post by mystery »

There was not supposed to be a rest break between English and maths so how did this occur? The invigilators should, theoretically, have noted incidents.

If he managed to complete 75 percent of the questions accurately he should have got a decent score. Was he upset while he was doing the ones he did? How did he recover his cool for the reasoning? Sorry to ask these questions but it will all need addressing in your case.

I meant to add that there would still, for a superselective, be two elements to the appeal I guess - extenuating circumstnaces explaining why the test score was not as good as hped on the day, and evidence of the high ability.

Have you tried the appeals section stickies etc?

What about an Ed Psycn report to provide some evidence of high ability in things relating to maths and high maths attainment?

You are lucky that your school has already covered level 6 material. Is this a Kent state primary?
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

IF you need to appeal when making selections, dont waste time discussing negative aspects or excuses, particularly if its not been documented. Use the time to focus positively on his ability through current workings etc and imperical evidence. It will reflect better on you, and then your DS
Loopy Lou

Post by Loopy Lou »

Hi Many thanks for the good advice from all angles!

I will try and see if it was documented.

What's ED Psync report? And how do you get one of those?

Many thanks
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Ed psych is an educational psychologist. They can be expensive. Does your school have any CAT scores from last year? They may give a good indication of mathematical reasoning.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now