Any thoughts?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Agamble

Any thoughts?

Post by Agamble »

Hello all and well done to all your hardworking children whatever their result.
I am feeling a little frustrated as my son failed the test on the English paper.
He scored:
Maths 133
Reasoning 129
English 102

Total 364
His year 5 SATS were:

Maths 5a
Reading 4a
Writing 4b
He is in top set for maths, now working towards level 6.

No CATS at our school
Does anyone think an appeal is worthwhile?
Any advice would be fantastic - thank you,
Last edited by Agamble on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kentishmaid

Re: Any thoughts?

Post by Kentishmaid »

With an overall score that high above the cut off I would definitely appeal, but you will need lots of evidence of ability in English in particular. good luck.
Pink99

Post by Pink99 »

Agamble, really good maths and reasoning- shame he had to be taking this year :(
how did his school fair in English? Could you argue that it was the teaching?
I think appeal is always worth a shot, but be prepared that if you don't win it he still needs to like the school he is offered. I went through appeals for dd1 as we were out of area, and it does draw out the uncertainty for them- but if successful is worth it, if you know the school is right for them.
Agamble

Post by Agamble »

Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply.
DS thinks we have now accepted plan B, but sadly I am still chasing plan A in my head!!!
A few children fell down on the English, but overall the school has good results at the end of y6. Teacher has said he should get his level 5 in May.
Any evidence would have to be his improvement I guess between now and then?
Would that count?
Sammi14

Post by Sammi14 »

Agamble, your DS's scores are better than mine one. I think it is worth to appeal.
He is small child and here are his scores:

Maths 127, Reasoning 128, Eng 102
Year 5 SATs results:
Maths 4a, reading 4a, writing 4c

we were told before summer holiday that they will not go for HT appeal if he fail any paper (coz all of them none of them are level 5 also his writing is very low level). We are very luckily that they changed their minds and decided to appeal for him at last.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Yes it definitely would count....hopefully your dc's school ht and class teacher will be prepared to write letters of support for an appeal too and at the very least give their predicted end of year 6 levels to support an appeal. There can be huge progress between now and May. Well done on managing to get him to accept plan b :) That way if you don't get the school that you want he won't be disappointed but if you do it will be a lovely surprise. I have said this in other threads but the knowledge that your parents are appealing doesn't help children come to terms with the school offered.
Agamble

Post by Agamble »

Thanks Sammi- did they pass your DC? I hope they did.
Thanks Tigger
Yes he is ok with plan B' so I can crusade on his behalf in the background. His writing/ English in general has let him down so we will need to make some good progress by appeal time!
Sammi14

Post by Sammi14 »

Yes Agamble. So I think it is worth for you to try appeal.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now