Judd or Skinners for non sporty boy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
frangipani

Re: Judd or Skinners for non sporty boy

Post by frangipani »

Can anybody please tell me what time the school day starts at Skinners?
I can't seem to find the info anywhere :?
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Normal start time is 8:45 (for assembly or a form tutor session) with the first lesson starting at 9:10. :)
pilot12

Post by pilot12 »

Hello,

I'm in dilemma between Judd & St Olaves as my first choice. We are happy to relocate to a commutable distance to any of these schools. Any suggestions which one is best? Please advise.

thank you
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

Hi Pilot12

I don't know much about st Olaves but have seen this question crop up a few times over the years. What I do know is that for whatever reason Olaves does seem to be regarded as the better of the two and most people seem to choose it over Judd. But for what reasons I don't know. And what is better for one person may not be for another.
I'm assuming you have visited and read up on both schools (IMO visiting is essential). Which will be easier to commute to? Which one feels right? More importantly which does your DS prefer? If it really is too difficult to choose between them, just let DS decide.
Softy

Post by Softy »

We have a similar dilemma but appreciate we are in a very fortunate position as they are both good schools. We are probably going to choose Judd.

I was hugely impressed by the Headmaster at St Olaves (despite reading some negative comments on this forum about him when he started). But I worry that the journey to school could be quite lonely for my son as there are only a few boys each year who commute from nearby (we don't know anyone else who passed the SO exam) and these may not naturally be his friends - most boys from here go to Judd, Skinners or TWBG. He is not the most confident of children and I think the commute may be an issue for him, and the lack of local friends will also impact on his ability to meet up with friends out of school. Many people may think this is a silly reason to choose one school over the other - but there is so little to choose between them. St Olaves does have better results but Judd (and Skinners) are both excellent too and I find it hard to believe that my DS would do less well at one school compared to the other.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now