Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: tWgsb
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:28 pm 

I just wanted any thoughts or opinions on Twgsb not to compare it to skinners or Judd because I am not keen on those schools. Son has done well in test but would not suit or get into super selective.i liked boys grammar did feel a tad cramped but seems to get good results.are peoples boys happy there?or how have they found it?any thoughts greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: tWgsb
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:26 pm 

What score did your son get ? He might be ok for skinners?

People have mixed views on TWGSB. It's a big school, old campus and facilities and tends to get the boys that couldn't get into the other two. It's more down to earth, maybe a little rough round edges (saw scrapping whilst there the other week) but members who have done there like it (guess they would)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:30 pm 

My DS is in year 9 there. We chose it over Skinners as he preferred it and we felt it would suit him. He is very happy, has a great group of lovely friends and is doing well. We were impressed with Mr Harrison and felt (and still feel) that the school aims to produce well rounded young men as well as good exam results. The boys get 5 assessment gradings throughout the year from 1-5 for both in class and out of class learning in all subjects. If they get good enough scores they get silver or gold certificates, which I feel is a good incentive for them, as well as letting parents know how they are doing. They do a variety of sports, less rugby than Judd & Skinners, but football, basketball, cricket, tennis, hockey...., so more choice in lesson time, which I like. My DS is very happy there. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:26 am 

That's great to hear. I would also love to hear any more thoughts on TWGSB from parents with boys there. What I have heard so far on the grapevine of parents who have boys there is very good, and keen to hear more about the school :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:38 am 

whichwaytogo wrote:
That's great to hear. I would also love to hear any more thoughts on TWGSB from parents with boys there. What I have heard so far on the grapevine of parents who have boys there is very good, and keen to hear more about the school :)

We have year 8 boy who loves it, esp the school trips!
Seriously great choice and not in any way second to Judd/Skinners.
Some choose above the other 2 even with high scores as it is a better match for them.
Book to go see and speak to the boys there :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:09 am 

TWGSB have an extra open day tomorrow if you are interested. You can look on the website for info.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:46 am 

My ds is in year 11 now. He loves it there, works hard and is on track for great results at gcse (fingers crossed) and his group of friends are all lovely, polite, hardworking boys too. As you would expect in any school there are some difficult boys (quite often due to problems at home or just plain immaturity), but I don't see this as any reflection of the school itself.
From what I have seen, the school deals with any problems very quickly and well - the Head really is excellent, (firm but fair), as is the pastoral care.

We are very happy that he has decided to stay on for 6th form, as it has been a brilliant school for him - I hope your ds is as happy wherever he goes.
Best wishes
Minty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:10 pm 

My son got 359.did not like skinners at all,just was not 'him',we also love Bennett but will he do as we'll if we do not choose grammar.he is such a great happy boy,loves footsie and is a boys boy.bennett had such a great vibe and we are IOC.so bad at making decisions!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:12 pm 

Apologies for typos!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:36 pm 

HI Thanks all for your positive stories. That's really helpful. Much appreciated. :)