Has anyone received in/out county data for Kent Test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherworriedmum

Re: Has anyone received in/out county data for Kent Test?

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Wow we have a small village primary school, I am really surprised that they have published that level of detail, its pretty much possible to work out which children got which score and also catch out those parents who have not quite been truthful about scores!
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

anotherworriedmum wrote:Wow we have a small village primary school, I am really surprised that they have published that level of detail, its pretty much possible to work out which children got which score and also catch out those parents who have not quite been truthful about scores!
Agreed, It seems wrong. They could have broken it down by borough. I guess that what most parents are really trying to work out is if their DC's score is going to be enough based on the catchment areas for certain schools. I'm sure KCC could have done this without being able in alot of cases to pinpoint specific children.

Also to clarify my earlier post which I've had a couple of PM's for, The FoI I was refering to was an old request back in 2011 which showed the post codes of school entrants for some specific schools. It did not relate to this year. However, still a step to far in my book.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think if they were going to do this, it would have been better earlier and more highly publicised. I am not sure if enough people are going to read it in time to see that they could have applied for a particular superselective when they may have thought it not worth trying.

If fewer people apply to superselectives this year because fewer people understand the scoring system because of the changes, then the superselectives will become less superselective ....... Or maybe this was the intention behind the change in scoring?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

mystery wrote:I think if they were going to do this, it would have been better earlier and more highly publicised. I am not sure if enough people are going to read it in time to see that they could have applied for a particular superselective when they may have thought it not worth trying.

If fewer people apply to superselectives this year because fewer people understand the scoring system because of the changes, then the superselectives will become less superselective ....... Or maybe this was the intention behind the change in scoring?
That is already the case with Simon Langton and Maidstone boys, who kept on their admissions criteria the need to get over 385 and 390 respectively, and have to stick with that. This year, boys with that score will likely go to Judd or Skinners, and the spaces in langton and Maidstone will be taken by distance criteria children.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh dear me. Yes, that is an admissions policy written in a way that is not "future-proof."

Do many schools specify scores like that?
Mumof2boyskent

Post by Mumof2boyskent »

mystery wrote:I think if they were going to do this, it would have been better earlier and more highly publicised. I am not sure if enough people are going to read it in time to see that they could have applied for a particular superselective when they may have thought it not worth trying.

Both Judd & Skinners were quite open about the fact that because of the unknown aspect of the scoring this year, you should put the school first that you really wanted.

I am surprised about the timing of the release of this information though, it may be too late for many who have already submitted their CAF, or maybe the schools have put the pressure on? Any ideas?
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

KCC were inundated with FOI requests, hence putting the data on directly. Any change in the test was always going to be tricky. At least KCC allows a few more days for their CAF.
rhc

Post by rhc »

mystery wrote:That was very useful thank you for working out likelihood of Tonbridge Grammar School for Girls - unless there are a lot of girls who live in the Districts of Sevenoaks, Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge and Malling who travel to primary schools outside those 3 districts.
How have you worked that out Mystery?
Mumof2boyskent

Post by Mumof2boyskent »

The data is in Excel format, so you can filter the data to look at your district and neighbouring districts and also by girls, boys and scores too, a quick formula will add up the number of girls/boys with your DC's score and above, or you can just scroll and count!

You can also include the OOC as well if you find that a large number of children come from OOC to the particular school you are interested in (although the OOC figure is anyone outside of Kent i.e. Essex, London, Surrey, E/W Sussex, Orpington etc etc, so harder to pinpoint specifically)

Anyway, it will give you an indication if you are in with a chance - i.e. if your child is in the top 300 scorers and there are 2 super selective schools in the area that take 150 children each, then you will be in with a pretty good chance. If your child is at around 600 in the scoring, then it's not likely.

As I say it is only an indication, I'm sure someone else will chip in if I've omitted anything! :lol:
salsa

Post by salsa »

Very valuable information, however, I agree that the individual schools should not have been mentioned. All we need is the area. We now know, for example that the only girl to score 420 was OOC and I think the parent posted here and didn't mind saying they were OOC, but what if they had not wanted to reveal that? Well done to the girl, though!
Do you think a similar request could be put to St Olave's who are so secretive about their test and keep poor parents guessing.