September 2015 takers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PurpleDog

September 2015 takers?

Post by PurpleDog »

Having just been through the 11+ mill with DD1, we're now starting it all over again with DD2.

We're aiming for TGS or Weald and have applied for both in that order for DD1.

Now everyone has submitted their applications for this year, thought I would see who is out there preparing for next year.
vinitasurya

Re: September 2015 takers?

Post by vinitasurya »

DS will be sitting the test in 2015. Reading through all the posts about this year's test put me in panic mode :roll:

Not sure how the test is going to be next year. Will it even be GL?
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

Done it this year with DS1 - DD sits it in September. However, DS was aiming for a superselective, DD only needs to pass as she wants to go to TWGGS and we are within spitting distance of the school, so I am hoping there will be (slightly) less stress this time round....who am I kidding!!

I wish we had a bit of guidance on what it's going to be like this time - but I guess we have to assume it will be similar to this year, perhaps with a more challenging English paper?
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

I think they are very deliberately trying to keep everyone guessing to (hopefully) minimise the impact of tutoring.

We'll just be doing the same as we did with DD1 and leave the rest to fate!

I'm of the opinion that if your child has to be heavily tutored to get through then it's probably not the right school for them!

So we will keep a balance of some preparation, but not to the extent that it takes over our lives.

Good Luck to both of your DCs!
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

Agreed - shouldn't take over. DS couldn't see a friend in the five weeks before the test because "he's doing so much for the 11+"....I thought that a bit OTT. We did one test paper a week in the summer holidays and that was about it, aside from making sure he was reading interesting books.
vinitasurya

Post by vinitasurya »

Was the English section simple this year?

Although the standardisation of the English scores seems to have thrown everybody off!
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

It would seem that the English was relatively easy this year and certainly the raw score needed to pass was quite a bit higher than the Maths.

DD1 is equally strong in Maths and English and yet got max score 138 for English and only 122 for Maths.

General view also seems to be that the Maths was much harder than previous years and scores were relatively much lower.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

PanicMode wrote:Agreed - shouldn't take over. DS couldn't see a friend in the five weeks before the test because "he's doing so much for the 11+"....I thought that a bit OTT. We did one test paper a week in the summer holidays and that was about it, aside from making sure he was reading interesting books.

Our DD worked quite hard over the summer but only a couple of papers each week and also had a couple of weeks off completely.
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

For what it is worth DD did very well in the Kent test, however we had only prepared for CEM because we are in Bexley. Having said that she did better in the Kent test than in Bexley so would not worry too much as to which exam board you will get.

This was my 2nd time and I can't say just how happy I'm that I will never have to do this again!!! Good luck to those going for round 2 this year. I can feel your pain. :)
rhc

Post by rhc »

We have also just finished with DD1 and now about to do it all over again with DS2 next year .....exhausting!! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now