Standardised scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kentpa

Standardised scores

Post by Kentpa »

Hi
Am new to this forum so apologies for asking a question that has no doubt cropped up before but reading some of the earlier threads seems to present a slightly different picture to the one I thought before and I'd be very grateful if someone could confirm my understanding.

Looking at the Judd school document http://www.judd.kent.sch.uk/Documents/P ... %2006).pdf

suggests that to have achieved the maximum score of 140 would have required a minimum of 75% VR, 71%NVR and 75% Maths. Presumably the idea that to get into a highly selective school like Judd requires near 100% has come about because most of their pupils score near the perfect 420 (140 x3) - when in reality many of them will have scored in the 70-80% region?

What confuses me is that the pass rate of 120 quoted in this document shows an equivalent score of as low as 48% for Maths - this seems remarkably low for a pass rate?

Some of the practice papers (like Bond) talk about the necessity of scoring 84% - but presumably this is a national average and that the figure for Kent is lower because of the larger number of grammar places available?

Be grateful for any clarification!

Post by Guest »

I think that you really can pass the Kent test with relatively low scores. However I also suspect that children tend to do worse in the real thing than in practice papers.

As you only needed 115 in one paper last year, and about half the candidates failed the test, it would seem that half the candidates either scored below 50% in at least two papers, or well below 50% in one paper. I find it hard to believe that very many parents would enter their children for the test if they were finding it so hard in practice sessions. A few- yes. Thousands- no. Of course, it may just go to show how anomalous the posters on this site are and that most children don't actually do any preparation.

I know that it is hardly statistically relevant, but for what it's worth my child only scored 138 in maths despite consistently scoring 96- 100% (usually the latter) on NFER and Bond 5th practice papers in well under the time limit! All the more surprising as she found the exam "really easy". Conversely, she missed out 3 questions in NVR (out of time) and scored 140; clearly, therefore, 140 did not mean 100%.
kentpa

Post by kentpa »

Thanks for that
Yes I suspect the pressure of the actual test does account for a drop in scores - I am surprised to hear that half failed the test - does seem quite high - would be very interesting (though impossible) to know what percentage of failures were from those doing little or no practice. As you say seems unlikely that many would fall into that category.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now