Judd 2016 Admissions Consultation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

klmh1968

Re: Judd 2016 Admissions Consultation

Post by klmh1968 »

Thanks for the link. However i believe that there has been various meetings over the last few years regarding Cranbrook admission at yr 7. However prep schools in the area are obviously not that pleased about it since most of their pupils take the entrance exam at 13 and potentially they will lose pupils at 11 if Cranbrook have their way.

As i said this doesn't affect me but i feel for the bright DC that now have another option taken away re schooling.
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

I don't see why that is another option taken away?

Cranbrook taking children at 11 is great news for local grammar kids. Lots of kids travel from Cranbrook/Goudhurst/Staplehurst to Maidstone/Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells/Ashford as there is no local GS at 11, a small proportion of them then go through the 13 plus but some of them are just settled where they are and stay there.

IF Cranbrook at 11 is a good viable GS then there will be a proportion of 150 children a year (their current intake) not going to Maidstone/Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells/Ashford thereby releasing more GS places in those locations for local GS kids. It seems like a win win to me :-)
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

anotherworriedmum wrote:I don't see why that is another option taken away?

Cranbrook taking children at 11 is great news for local grammar kids. Lots of kids travel from Cranbrook/Goudhurst/Staplehurst to Maidstone/Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells/Ashford as there is no local GS at 11, a small proportion of them then go through the 13 plus but some of them are just settled where they are and stay there.

IF Cranbrook at 11 is a good viable GS then there will be a proportion of 150 children a year (their current intake) not going to Maidstone/Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells/Ashford thereby releasing more GS places in those locations for local GS kids. It seems like a win win to me :-)
Cranbrook sch. has to give 2 year warning before they change to 11+(if they do). That means they won't be taking anybody in Year 7 at least until 2017. Judd proposes to make changes to catchment area in 2016.
That is not great news for local boys (to Cranbrook).

just a thought to add to above, I don't think they will have 150 places in Year 7, they have only 100 (98 in current year 9) day pupils in year 9 and above .They won't be offering boarding places before year 9 (just what I've read in previous letters/suggestions from school)
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

IF Cranbrook at 11 is a good viable GS then there will be a proportion of 150 children a year (their current intake) not going to Maidstone/Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells/Ashford thereby releasing more GS places in those locations for local GS kids. It seems like a win win to me :-)[/quote]

How can children residing in ME and DA postcodes be deemed to be local to Tunbridge?

I have sent my response to the proposal and received a reply from the headmaster. Cranbrook is excluded from the inner area because the GS takes DC at 13. He didn't offer any suggestion as to where the DC should go for YR 7 &8 though. He also didn't respond to my point stating that i felt the new admission policy was a response to the Sevenoaks GS/Annexe issue.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now