Walking to Secondary School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gravesendgal

Walking to Secondary School

Post by gravesendgal »

Hello all, hope all the kids have had the results they were after?

I was just interested to know how many children will be lucky enough to roll out of bed and walk to school in September?

When I read posts about bus rides/train rides, I feel really thank-ful that I have a Grammar School on my doorstep.

It looks as though he might have got Dartford with his score of 360 (not entirely sure though) but im much happier to be staying local in Gravesend, for everyone concerned.

What are your thoughts?
FortyNinePence

Re: Walking to Secondary School

Post by FortyNinePence »

No secondary schools within 5 miles of us, so no one from DSs primary will be walking to their secondaries.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

We have one secondary school (girls only) that is within walking distance. The next nearest is the one my dd attends which is about 2.5 miles in a straight line. A very easy bus journey. (I grew up in a small village and caught the bus to school from 11 so I don't think I really see it as unusual).
erisindevon

Post by erisindevon »

We're in central Plymouth, and are lucky enough to have two girls' grammars and one boys' grammar within walking distance. In fact, that was our main reason for selecting grammar over comp - they are simply closer! DD1 walks the 1.5 miles each way every day, and meets friends on the way. I think the majority of girls live within a few miles, but as with any selective school there are also lots who travel from much further afield.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

My daughter is in Year 10 and gets the train to her school, which is 20 miles by road. There have been many discussions on this before but parents shouldn't be worried about their children travelling more than a couple of miles to school. It's more to do with the time they leave and return.

My daughter loves getting the train with her friends and sometimes, even gets homework done. It's also made her very independent and often travels by train if visiting friends, attending activities, etc.

They are only little year 7's for a short while and the first two terms are the toughest but that applies to all of them.
PanicMode

Post by PanicMode »

My son will be able to roll out of bed and walk to Skinners in under a minute! If we'd got TWBGS it would have been more like 3 minutes....if my daughter gets into TWGGS next year, it will be about 1 minute. I have two further boys taking it in a few years time and even the comprehensives they'd go to are within a 10 minute walk.

I'm very thankful that we live where we do because although we have to put up with the rat running, the parking on double yellow lines at kicking out time, and not being able to park when it's a parents' evening, it more than makes up for the fact that they will be on the doorstep of their secondary schools and I don't have to worry about the trains/buses etc.