would you be bottom of the pile?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NoBigDeal1

would you be bottom of the pile?

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

if you child gets into a score selective grammar on waiting list round are they always destined to be at the bottom? Will it be a struggle trying to keep up with their peers.If they want to go for it should you encourage them to do it?
Guest55

Re: would you be bottom of the pile?

Post by Guest55 »

NoBigDeal1 wrote:if you child gets into a score selective grammar on waiting list round are they always destined to be at the bottom? Will it be a struggle trying to keep up with their peers.If they want to go for it should you encourage them to do it?
No, not in my experience. It is a one-off exam and some of my best students have come through appeal or 12+.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

I think not. Some children will have been very heavily tutored or had an awful lot more attention at primary school than others. Some children will blossom at secondary, others will have a bad day on 11+ day. There are so many variables.
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

My son is currently sats level 4astar or something but worked so hard at 11+ was a bit weird but he was determined to do it! He got close to cut off mark at selective school and someone said small chance he might get in on waiting list.i would appeal.he seems to be a really late developer and each year seems to be catching up more and more.obviously is everyone there already level 5 or 6 now? I just felt if he was offered a place I know he would want to go for it but just worry would it all be an uphill struggle? But he is good at doing homework and working hard and trying but maybe not naturally the brainiest person around.
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

I meant to say we not appeal but perhaps consider waiting list
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't know about Kent but in Bucks we have quite a lot of level 4 children at GS.
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

Oh really?his primAry school has always made me feel he was a bit rubbish and would not cut the mustard!and because he has never been as able as the super bright kids you just seem a bit forgotten
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think we get fewer with the CEM test but I can think of a couple of level 3 children I knew who are now doing maths degrees!
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

If he is determined and a hard worker, and is catching up more and more each year as you say, I'd definitely go for it. If you put him on the waitlist, what do you have to lose? You know your child best.
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

thanks so much for your replies,it's been really helpful.