would you be bottom of the pile?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: would you be bottom of the pile?

Post by mystery »

I am not clear what situation your son is in. Was he assessed suitable for grammar school in the kent test or not?
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

I think nobigdeal1 is talking about not having a high enough score for superselective and is deciding whether to go on the waiting list.
salsa

Post by salsa »

NoBigDeal's son has demonstrated to work well one to one. He achieved a good score a few points shy to go to a superselective! The fact that the teachers have written him off in the past does not mean they are right or that he would not thrive at a grammar with better teachers.
How many famous people have been predicted to achieve nothing by teachers? Einstein, Richard Branson, etc.
Give your child every chance to succeed and the confidence that he can do it. If he did get into the school and things go wrong, you could always change him.
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

it seems to me that he has the right apptitude. I think teachers are always more inclined to help and support kids that they see working hard and trying. If he's already passed the 11+ then he's already in the top 20% for all peers, and if he's borderline for the super selectives, he's clearly a capable lad.

I wouldn't think of it in terms of "struggling". All of the kids going to Grammar next year will be challenged in some way or another. They'll all learn to cope in their own ways.
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

If your dc gets in off the waiting list then he is just as capable as the other children who got in.
There were many very able children who under performed this year and scored lower than their capabilities. It was a tough test. I wouldn't put too much weight on a score in one test to assess his ability. He may be far more able than you think.
Assuming he wants to try for superselective, I would let him have a go.
NoBigDeal1

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

What happens if the teachers at his school say " oh, no that won't be right for him he won't cope" he is a bit of a chatterbox but his work is always improving.feel like it is only me that has belief in him and come across as a bit of a nutter.his score was 359 he worked hard for it so if he got in off waiting list would you send him.i guess the other kids from his school going do seem to be cleverer and higher up in sats scores but does it mean he won't be ok?
salsa

Post by salsa »

You will never know. Just think how you would feel if you don't try. Did he get Bennet?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ignore them - they have under-estimated his potential.

My DS's Primary HT did not think he was GS material - in fact she didn't think anyone was - she seemed unaware that GS in Bucks cater for top 30% not top 1%. Anyway he's at uni now after doing really well at GS.

You believe in him and he's shown he has the ability - if he really struggles you could move him but give him the chance.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I agree entirely with g55. They probably shoved him in low groups where he didn't learn as much as he could have done at school so now you did some work at home with him and he scored so well they find it embarrassing.

Just go for it.

Are they saying he is not grammar school material ( in which case they are evil) or that they would be worried about superselective ( in which case they are just ignorant).
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DDs year 4 teacher thought she was definitely GS material and that it would suit her better than the local comp. Year 5 teacher didn't think she would get in.

She did get in and is doing well.

I know a few girls at her GS with widely different scores , but are actually performing at much the same level at school. I know a few who scored very low in the test who would have flown at GS too.