Declined DGS for boys ooc and MYP

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shwetha

Declined DGS for boys ooc and MYP

Post by Shwetha »

Has Anyone from out of catchment declined Dartford Grammar School?
And does anyone know about MYP ( middle year program ) that Dartford Grammar School , is it effective when compared to other schools .
Plz do share your vies
Foreseer

Re: Declined DGS for boys ooc and MYP

Post by Foreseer »

Most parents in this country have no idea what MYP is. I had talked to many teachers who had experience in teaching both GCSE and MYP, all of them commented MYP as a better education. Instead of learning different subjects separately as in GCSE, IB education integrates two or more subjects together, they call it interdisciplinary study. This allows learners to make connection between areas of knowledge. To me this is certainly a more natural way of learning. However, MYP demands students to be more independent and self disciplined in learning, those who are lazy, passive and unmotivated may struggle. In fact MYP teachers told me British kids who are too used to British style spoon feeding system from young tend to perform badly in IB programmes.
Last edited by Foreseer on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Hi! Just wanted to say that it sounds like you're insulting the kids of most of the parents on this board, which doesn't sit well with me. Most kids aren't lazy and most schools don't spoon feed. Also today is the day that many users of this board are having to come to terms with bad news for their beloved children, and might be feeling a little sensitive and sore, so you might want to think again about how your post came across.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Foreseer, has your DS's top grammar school place been confirmed, now that National Allocation Day had finally arrived? I do hope that congratulations are in order :D
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Foreseer

Post by Foreseer »

I am just saying what I heard from teachers. In addition, it has got nothing to do with school allocation. I really don't see how it can insult you and others.
Blametheparents

Post by Blametheparents »

My son is at DGS in year 11 and is about to sit his GCSEs.
The MYP, in my opinion, supplements the GCSE programme and it is these qualifications that the students are working towards.
The subjects that the boys do and pretty academic and there is not a huge amount of choice at GCSE selection time. However, the path that the school leads the students down allows them to access the IB Programme at 6th form very successfully and allows them a full choice of subjects at that time.

The school is committed to the IB Programme at 6th Form and my son is looking forward to being a part of it. The school offers good advice on which subjects to take at the Higher and Standard levels. I have been pleased with the way that they have supported my son in making these decisions.

Students do well in the IB Programme and I don't know how one can suggest that the students there do badly!

A fantastic school. Hoping my daughter will consider it for 6th form.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now