Raw scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Raw scores

Post by moved »

We will be moving to Kent at the end of this year, my son will sit the 11+ in readiness for the move, I was interested in an approximate idea of the raw scores required. TGS told me that my daughter (Yr 5) would need 95%. I have assumed that this is 95% of the standardised score. Am I correct? My son generally scores very highly so I put Judd and then Skinners on my form, but if 95% (raw score) is really required I have made a mistake.

raw scores

Post by Guest »

Hi !
Judd pass mark is usually around 410-413 out of 420. TOGS is a little lower, maybe down to 407 out of 420. (For getting your place at first allocation - don't know how appeals affect these marks).
Different each year but generally very high pass mark required and it is the standardised score they are talking about.

Hope this helps.
perplexed

raw scores

Post by perplexed »

I think you need to ask Tonbridge Grammar School for schools what they mean by the %age they gave you. 11+ scores in Kent are not normally quoted as %ages by schools. I would have thought Tonbridge GS for Girls should be able to tell you the pass scores (before appeal) which girls got in on in several previous years. They may be able to give you some feel as to the raw score to which this equated (which will differ depending on whether child was old or young for the year).

It may be useful to have a feel for what percentage of the population they are trying to identify through the exam (e.g. top 10% or top 2%) and get some feel from your daughter's primary school if they think she falls into this.

I was very curious about the raw scores etc when I was first finding out about the Kent 11+ process, but I am not sure now how useful it is to know it. I think it is just important for you child to know that they do not have to get everything correct to pass the Kent 11+, or even to get into the highly selective schools like Judd, Skinners and TOGS. So they should prepare as best they can for all the different question types, but not let any questions they are unsure of in the exam put them off - just do a multiguess if necessary.

Good luck
moved

Post by moved »

Thank you very much, primary school regards both children highly and considers them to be in the top 5-10%. So fingers crossed. The Essex system is quite different and this is what they are currently prepared for.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now