2014 Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
spicy2012

2014 Test

Post by spicy2012 »

Hi,

Please can someone remind me of the totals for the 2014 test?

Was the English out of 24 - and how many marks was the comprehension element?

Maths out of 30?

Reasoning out of 70 or 80?

Thanks
FortyNinePence

Re: 2014 Test

Post by FortyNinePence »

I don't think anyone actually knows, for sure. But please correct me if I'm wrong. Certainly the chat on here was people that had the information from their children that sat it, and as such, was, errr, shall we say, not 100% reliable.

I think the general consensus was that English was 24 Qs, 12 of which were comprehension and 6 each of grammar and spelling. There was no punctuation. Maths was 30 Qs in 25 minutes but this was largely a failure as the pass mark had to be dropped below 50% raw score so I would expect this to change.

No idea about the reasoning, other than that the non verbal/spatial was split into many different timed sections.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes - we do know for sure but can't find the thread. I'll try digging it out for you but there's nothing to say it will the same this year.

The only subject where the timing per question had been reduced was the maths - 30 questions in 25 minutes is correct.

Yes, the maths was weird in needing a very low raw score to pass but in my view that's way better than the English which required a very high raw score to pass so each wrong answer meant a huge number of standardised score points in the pass range .... that's not good for lots of reasons. It shows the paper was "too easy" for the majority of candidates so a very small extra number of asnwers correct made a big difference to standardised score and therefore to whether a mark was "superselective" or not.

This is presumably the paper that will need the most change from 2014 by either a signficiant increase in the difficulty of the questions or more to do in the time given.
whichwaytogo

Post by whichwaytogo »

hi, yes my son fell down on the English and one wrong question made a HUGE difference to his overall score. All ok now as he finally got a place from the waiting list at Skinners, but could have done without all that worry! I hope they "fix" the English and spare the next cohort all that angst! It seemed that one more question right in English for my son would have meant a super selective right off the bat in first round, two more wrong would have meant he failed the 11+ all together…. that can't be fair!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, the English effect was just way too magnified in either direction. It was possible to fail the whole 11 plus test within the first half an hour with just relatively few errors in English. It doesn't feel right. Children aged 10 to 11 are not that accurate and consistent from day to day and especially not a in a new test situation.