Y6 Sats

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Y6 Sats

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:The secondary targets are set using the KS2 tests - so if your child has an off-day and 'only' gets a level 4 they might be put in a lower group in Year 7. Their initial target will be a grade C and if they are on track for that then no-one will intervene or will maybe push towards a grade B (I'm using current grades as an illustration).

So what I'm saying is the school might be doing well by their 'level 4' but may not push towards what that child could achieve. Of course it matters if the child 'underachieves' at GCSE by getting a C rather than the grade they could have got if they'd got a level 5 and then an A level choice is not available to them.

You may well say 'The school will notice if they are doing better than this'. Yes, they might but secondary schools are big and setting decided early could cap achievement later on. We've all seen on here students suddenly finding they can't do triple science because they aren't a certain level in Year 8/9 so KS2 doe matter to the child.
I have seen very strict and inflexible maths setting in a non-selective school. It could have changed but the school was ofsted outstanding at the time. Each set was taught the material for the level expected by the end of the year and they had maths textbooks etc which were tiered accordingly. It was all heading towards the grade expected at gcse from the ks2 test result. ( a and a star for a high five child, b for a low 5, c for a level 4, disaster for a level 3 etc)

So if you started out in the wrong set, even if you had managed to get through the bureaucracy to be allied a chance to move, you would not have covered the material needed to slot in well to the set above.

Hopefully this school was a rarity.

G55, how is a child with no ks2 test results entered into raise online and what gcse prediction would be made for them by raise online?

What formula for gcse targets will be put into raise online for the new style ks2 tests in 2016?

I do not suppose in a million years that the dfe expected some schools to use the raise online targets to base their teaching so rigidly around, but some clearly do ( well, one definitely did).

It struck me as awful, but not out of the ordinary, as a similar notion was being used in our primary with foundation stage results, then ks1 results.

I also think that the 6 weekly grades at a grammar here is based on ks2 and cat results in some way. So attainment and effort feedback is formulated in the context of some historic test day data. It 's good and bad.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

mystery wrote:
G55, how is a child with no ks2 test results entered into raise online and what gcse prediction would be made for them by raise online?

What formula for gcse targets will be put into raise online for the new style ks2 tests in 2016?
It's actually FFT that generates probablities of GCSE grades not RAISEonline. Those with no prior attainment (KS1 or KS2) aren't included.

In RAISE, any child with no KS2 levels is not included in progress measures unless they do badly or well - it is 'assumed' they could have got (currently for Year 11) a level 5 so any grade B can be credited as 'expected progress' and an A/A* are 'more than expected progress'.

We don't know enough about 2016 KS2 tests to know what ROL will do and it will be several years before they need to think about it!

https://www.raiseonline.org/documentlib ... brary.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you really want to know more ...
Mumof2boyskent

Post by Mumof2boyskent »

In the skinners info today it said the children would have CAT tests when they start in September :shock:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:
mystery wrote:

It's actually FFT that generates probablities of GCSE grades not RAISEonline. Those with no prior attainment (KS1 or KS2) aren't included.

In RAISE, any child with no KS2 levels is not included in progress measures unless they do badly or well - it is 'assumed' they could have got (currently for Year 11) a level 5 so any grade B can be credited as 'expected progress' and an A/A* are 'more than expected progress'.

We don't know enough about 2016 KS2 tests to know what ROL will do and it will be several years before they need to think about it!

https://www.raiseonline.org/documentlib ... brary.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you really want to know more ...
Ah thank you. That makes more sense than what I was thinking.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now