End of the road for the Sevenoaks Grammar Annex?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Twinkle

Re: End of the road for the Sevenoaks Grammar Annex?

Post by Twinkle »

WOK is just girls as is the Annex
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Yes Twinkle but for how long ? Surely boys entry is inevitable as it is them that are short of places, girls have always been completely fine.

As a Wok Mum with another DD starting in Sept 2017 ( subject to test :shock: ) this is a big concern.

Amazed that Wok parents have had no communication at all on this proposal or the impact it will have on Tonbridge site. Parents unanimously rejected boys joining Wok but no consultations at all since.

Open morning for new starters tomorrow morning should be interesting. Glad I'm going.
kent mum
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

At the moment legally the annex cannot be for boys too. As I understand it the only way that boys could attend the Annex would be WOK as a whole to become mixed - this proposal was not agreed to by parents about a year ago - hence the Annex is just for girls.

To the extent that there is a need for a grammar school in Sevenoaks, the need is for boys as that is where there is always difficulties. Girls don't have such a rough ride getting places at a GS. Approval of an all girls annex in Sevenoaks is in my view politically symbolic.
Jannaj

Post by Jannaj »

JJ123 wrote:Yes Twinkle but for how long ? Surely boys entry is inevitable as it is them that are short of places, girls have always been completely fine.

As a Wok Mum with another DD starting in Sept 2017 ( subject to test :shock: ) this is a big concern.

Amazed that Wok parents have had no communication at all on this proposal or the impact it will have on Tonbridge site. Parents unanimously rejected boys joining Wok but no consultations at all since.

Open morning for new starters tomorrow morning should be interesting. Glad I'm going.
I guarantee you that the parents rejection of mixed intake at WoK was not unanimous.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

I guarantee you that the parents rejection of mixed intake at WoK was not unanimous.[/quote]

Apologies 86% voted against boys at Wok.
kent mum
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

86% is pretty high! It would be difficult to ignore......
mystery

Post by mystery »

Very easy to run consultations again and get different results. It's hardly as if it is done scientifically or securely.

Do you think WoK really want an annex in Sevenoaks? Unless KCC give loads of cash bail outs it's surely a financial noose for quite a while .... so maybe they'll back out?

All very interesting. Just wish we didn't live around here at this point in time. All a bit of a mess for a while.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Is it approved do you think ..... it says "going to be approved today"? Why the leak?

Yes, they'd better talk about it at the Weald open morning tomorrow!
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Goodness knows Mystery.

Will nab the head tomorrow at the open day and ask her directly. There is a reason why the other Grammars wouldn't touch this with a barge pole .... had a very interesting convo with one of the boys headmasters saying exactly that. Why would a good school want such a headache. Only Mrs Johnson knows the answer to that and doubt she'll tell me.

There is a helicopter circling the site as i type maybe Nicky Morgan's landing :lol:
kent mum
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

I was watching the BBC news channel earlier and on the ticker-tape info at the bottom of the screen it said "The Government is to approve the first new grammar school site for 50 years."
Sometime today I presume!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now