We have been told we are out ofGrammar Zone-Tunbridge wells

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

I know at least five children who have been allocated Tunbridge Wells High School, despite not naming it at all in their preferences. Some took the 11+ and didn't pass, and some didn't take it at all.

Post by Guest »

I know at least five children who have been allocated Tunbridge Wells High School, despite not naming it at all in their preferences. Some took the 11+ and didn't pass, and some didn't take it at all.
guest101

question for becs

Post by guest101 »

becs
please can you give some more information as this thread is getting further away from your question whatever it was.

If you really do want some sensible advice why don't you give some more information along the lines of the questions that some of the earlier responders have given. If not get the thread deleted as it seems a complete waste of space currently.
BECS

Post by BECS »

very sorry I wasnt able to log in for a while and didnt see teh threads.
We live in capel right by the A21 quite away from Paddock wood. In the admissions booklet it names paddock wood as being the comprehensive area along with a number of other locations. I dont have neighbours with that age group of child near me and we moved in 18 mnths ago and were sold the house on the basis it was within Grammer Catchment. I also checked the booklet from admissions, pg 4. Capel & Tudeley are not in th list of areas in the comprehensive zone and the map in the admissions booklet also shows the comprehensive boundary around the edge of paddock wood and our location within the grammar selective zone. I pay TBW council tax also. The Kent Gov website when you put in your Postcode also shows our local grammar as 3.4 miles.

The school we have been given was not on our list, its in maidstone but is a grammar. It has the same oversubscription polocy as TWBG. It would take my son a train journey starting at 7:45, a change, then a bus journey to get to school for about 8:50. There will only be one train he can catch in the morning, the others leave after 9am. To get home trains are only every 30 mins. We both work so its impossible for us to drive him to school. It all just seems very unfair.

Post by Guest »

Which primary school does your son attend? Presumably they did not offer you any guidance as to your choices. I agree, it does seem grossly unfair.
Becs

Post by Becs »

No the sat down and gave me and gave me advice of the two Grammar schools which I followed. They were as shocked as I was.
Becs

Becs

Post by Becs »

What I have learnt is that if you move to teh area you need to look at Mascalls on page 61 and check which parishes are listed under transport, apparently as tehy are listed there this is what the true comprehensive area is, not what is listed on page 4.

My concern is in appeal, will people like us continue to be at the bottom of the pile because we are classed a comprehensive zone or does it now become an equal playing field ?

Thats why I want to know IF anyone from a compreheinsive area has got through to Grammar in Kent on appeal.
SAD

Re: Becs

Post by SAD »

Becs wrote:What I have learnt is that if you move to teh area you need to look at Mascalls on page 61 and check which parishes are listed under transport, apparently as tehy are listed there this is what the true comprehensive area is, not what is listed on page 4.

My concern is in appeal, will people like us continue to be at the bottom of the pile because we are classed a comprehensive zone or does it now become an equal playing field ?

Thats why I want to know IF anyone from a compreheinsive area has got through to Grammar in Kent on appeal.
I think you should put your son in for re-allocation of places - children who didn't get a school named on their list are quite near the top of the pile for re-allocated places.

Post by Guest »

BECS wrote:very sorry I wasnt able to log in for a while and didnt see teh threads.
We live in capel right by the A21 quite away from Paddock wood. In the admissions booklet it names paddock wood as being the comprehensive area along with a number of other locations. I dont have neighbours with that age group of child near me and we moved in 18 mnths ago and were sold the house on the basis it was within Grammer Catchment. I also checked the booklet from admissions, pg 4. Capel & Tudeley are not in th list of areas in the comprehensive zone and the map in the admissions booklet also shows the comprehensive boundary around the edge of paddock wood and our location within the grammar selective zone. I pay TBW council tax also. The Kent Gov website when you put in your Postcode also shows our local grammar as 3.4 miles.

The school we have been given was not on our list, its in maidstone but is a grammar. It has the same oversubscription polocy as TWBG. It would take my son a train journey starting at 7:45, a change, then a bus journey to get to school for about 8:50. There will only be one train he can catch in the morning, the others leave after 9am. To get home trains are only every 30 mins. We both work so its impossible for us to drive him to school. It all just seems very unfair.

Post by Guest »

Hello Becs

You mentioned applying to two schools. Which grammars did you want?

For Judd and Skinners it doesn't make any difference whether you are in an eleven plus or comprehensive area since they do not give priority to the former. For TWBG it does matter, as you know, but it also matters for the Maidstone grammars. I gather from other threads on this site that both boys' grammars in Maidstone are oversubscribed this year so if they were willing to offer your son a place at one of those I don't see why you shouldn't be in with a shout at TWBG.

My kids' primary is on the edge of the Mascalls area and most children there are in catchment for Mascalls. Several have got into grammars on appeal over the last few years, at least some of whom (I THINK) live in the comprehensive area. In each case, however, these were Maidstone grammars; we are east of Paddock Wood.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now