11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

Re: When can we discuss tests

Post by yoyo123 »

Please remain civil, there is no need for personal attacks
mystery

Post by mystery »

Osho wrote:The rules don't permit to discuss the tests till the late sitters have sat the tests. But please tell me what is the point now to discuss the tests. We might in fact prepare ourselves to discuss the results and seek advice from the experienced to determine where we stand with our results. What we must do now is to boost the morale of our kids and emphasise that whatever may be the outcome, but we believe in their ability and their efforts . Nothing more was required from them when they gave their best.
Please don't get me wrong. I wish u and ur dear child the best and I'm in the same situation but am relaxed and so is my child after I had one to one talk with him explaining how I felt and how proud I as a father I am for having such a hardworking kid.
Like you, I feel there isn't much point in discussing the tests from the point of view of a child who has just taken it ---- although it can give you some clues about your child's test taking style which could be useful in future tests. Many people on here however are interested for a different reason and that is why the use these fora - it's to help them prepare future children for future tests in future years. So it's interesting to hear whether GL assessment has done anything novel this year - like last year they changed the maths speed and added some spatial stuff. That kind of thing is interesting to know ..... but just like investments past performance gives you no guarantees about the future.

It's GL again in 2016 Kent test with an option to extend in 2017 and 2018 so I would think that 2016 preparers will be interested in this thread once it is allowed to say something useful. When will that be please Moderators?

See our post above (Wed Sep 16, 2015 23:17 pm).

Happy hamster

Post by Happy hamster »

Last1973 wrote:Just want to hear people's thoughts.
Thanks
Hiya, totally understand. I'd like to discuss them too, not because I think it'll make any difference, purely as a displacement activity during the unbearable wait, and to stop myself accidentally talking to DS about it!
Maddiebean

Post by Maddiebean »

Yes! Exactly Happy Hamster!
mystery

Post by mystery »

mystery wrote:
Osho wrote:The rules don't permit to discuss the tests till the late sitters have sat the tests. But please tell me what is the point now to discuss the tests. We might in fact prepare ourselves to discuss the results and seek advice from the experienced to determine where we stand with our results. What we must do now is to boost the morale of our kids and emphasise that whatever may be the outcome, but we believe in their ability and their efforts . Nothing more was required from them when they gave their best.
Please don't get me wrong. I wish u and ur dear child the best and I'm in the same situation but am relaxed and so is my child after I had one to one talk with him explaining how I felt and how proud I as a father I am for having such a hardworking kid.
Like you, I feel there isn't much point in discussing the tests from the point of view of a child who has just taken it ---- although it can give you some clues about your child's test taking style which could be useful in future tests. Many people on here however are interested for a different reason and that is why the use these fora - it's to help them prepare future children for future tests in future years. So it's interesting to hear whether GL assessment has done anything novel this year - like last year they changed the maths speed and added some spatial stuff. That kind of thing is interesting to know ..... but just like investments past performance gives you no guarantees about the future.

It's GL again in 2016 Kent test with an option to extend in 2017 and 2018 so I would think that 2016 preparers will be interested in this thread once it is allowed to say something useful. When will that be please Moderators?

See our post above (Wed Sep 16, 2015 23:17 pm).

Thanks; so what date does that mean in Kent? September 2016?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Lots of other regions on this forum are discussing their tests such as number of questions, time pressures etc e.g http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=43699" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and looking at the regions they also use late tests. I will call Kent tomorrow whilst DD is at Newstead test and see if I can get a definitive answer from them unless anyone here has already done something similar?
salsa

Post by salsa »

Brilliant idea!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Lots of other regions on this forum are discussing their tests such as number of questions, time pressures etc e.g http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=43699" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and looking at the regions they also use late tests. I will call Kent tomorrow whilst DD is at Newstead test and see if I can get a definitive answer from them unless anyone here has already done something similar?
Thank you, that would be very useful to know, put an end to the speculation!
Moderators

Post by Moderators »

Thanks; so what date does that mean in Kent? September 2016?
We do not know - or claim to know - when would be safe.

If you have written evidence of when it is safe to post in your area, please show it to us.

The latest test date we've come across in any admission authority is the very beginning of the following September. (We think this was for a number of children moving into the area.)
I'm sure previous years discussions were had round about now .....
We do not have time to read every post on the forum - we rely on members to alert us to matters of concern. That is what the 'report button' is for.
This year we've had more complaints than usual about posts revealing some aspect of test content.
Some members think it "doesn't matter," while for others it is a sensitive issue.
Lots of other regions on this forum are discussing their tests .....
We have removed some of the details from the thread you've kindly brought to our attention.
Please let us know of any other potential breaches of forum rules.
Last year there was a real fuss about the fact that the number of questions in the maths test were revealed before the OOC date but as an OOC parent, I couldn't see how I could gain any possible advantage for my daughter from that piece of information.
I absolutely see that knowing ahead of time how many Maths questions there were in so little time would have been an advantage. We spent the entire summer telling our DS to slow down his Maths! :roll:
Opinions vary - but as a responsible forum we will always err on the side of caution.

From time to time we have received formal complaints from admission authorities about the discussion of test content on the forum.
I will call Kent tomorrow whilst DD is at Newstead test and see if I can get a definitive answer from them
Thank you very much. A constructive proposal! :D
It might help get their co-operation if you stress that the forum is anxious to work with the authority to ensure that nothing we do will prejudice the integrity of their test.

It would help to know if they have a date for the last scheduled sitting that uses the same paper.
Is there provision for children moving into the area after the last scheduled sitting?
What is the last possible date when the same paper could be used?

If they have any useful information, we must, please, have it confirmed in writing.
The best way of doing this would probably be for you to send a follow-up email summarising the key points, and asking if they agree!
mystery

Post by mystery »

All sounds good to me. But, irrespective of when KCC says the 2015 test is last going to be used, it's not possible to keep the number of questions secret in each paper as it comes out with the raw scores - or it did last year anyhow. So, assuming raw scores are quoted in the same way this year, this forum would not be disclosing anything that was not already in the public domain by allowing discussion to include the number of questions in each section once this year's scores are out.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now