TWGSB, Knole grammar stream or Trinity for Sevenoaks boys?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jonnyzap

Re: TWGSB, Knole grammar stream or Trinity for Sevenoaks boy

Post by Jonnyzap »

Hi

My son goes to Knole. Like all of the parents I have spoken to, I can't believe the Ofsted report. I could have sent him to a grammar. I chose Knole because it is local and co-ed. I couldn't be happier and neither could he. He is academically pushed and has lots of extra-curricular stuff to do. He even seems to like sport now. Chronicle suggested it may be a political judgement. In the present climate, I would have to agree.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Hi Jonnyzap,

Yes, that was my immediate thought when I heard that Knole had been assessed 'Needs Improvement'; certainly the timing of the OFSTED visit, during the legal challenge window for the WoK annexe in Sevenoaks, is suspicious, and the assessment means that anti-grammar campaigners can argue less easily that there is a 'good' alternative locally for grammar-suited Sevenoaks children.

However, I did read the Ofsted report on Knole and it is detailed and well-reasoned.

I'm glad your son is enjoying Knole and that the academic challenge is as it should be. In the end we didn't include Knole on our SCAF form, as I was concerned about the static 49% A*-C GCSE results (inc Maths & English), when there should really have been some improvement by 2015, if the quality of management and teaching can be relied upon.

It may well be that the best teaching resources for core subjects are focused on the grammar stream for which there are no GCSE results yet, but I've also heard that the school has problems with teacher turnover, supply teachers and finding quality permanent replacements, and those are bound to affect the grammar stream too. Is that your understanding/experience?
mystery

Post by mystery »

For my kids, I like to look at the DfE performance tables for the "higher attaining" cohort - the ones that went in on level 5s from primary school, and then look at the percentage that made satisfactory progress in maths and English. It's still very poor for 2015 at Knole. I don't know why. When did the "grammar stream" start?
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Yes, the DfE website performance tables are useful - I think you put me onto those, Mystery! I like being able to look at the year-on-year results at a glance.

The Knole grammar stream started in 2012. I think there were two forms that year. Those kids are now in Year 10.

The Academy was formed in 2010, I believe, so the 2015 GCSE results must reflect a Knole education rather than part-Knole, part-predecessor school. Although I'd give any new school some licence for bedding-in, after five years there really should be significant improvements in the results.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, indeed.

I think that if I were considering the school - and I might have to - I'd write to the head and ask for some explanation of the poor progress in English and Maths of the 14% of the children who started at the school as level 5s in September 2010 and why it would be different for a similar child entering the school in September 2017. Nothing like showing interest on first acquaintance!

It is unfortunate really that this unsatisfactory situation sits in the heart of a town which has also been desperate to have its own grammar school for such a long time, and be the closest school for children living quite some distance away too. I'm not pro or anti selection, but it can't help improve the reputation of comprehensives ---- or academies for that matter.

If it wasn't an academy, an effective LEA could have turned it round years ago for fewer ££££££s than designing, building and subsidising a start-up grammar annex in an academy will cost.

And the grammar annex will help the high attaining intake - but unless the progress improves for the middle and poor attaining pupils that leaves a lot of Sevenoaks children badly served.

It would be hard to dish out a good OFSTED report with those 2015 progress figures staring you in the face unless you could see that the younger cohorts are headed for greater things. It's hardly as if Sevenoaks is a difficult catchment area. Compare it with Shenley Academy, West Midlands, right next to it if you click the "compare similar schools" button. 60% free school meals there. Better on a lot of the academic measures. Quite a different living environment for the majority of the kids there. I don't understand why Knole doesn't do better.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Jonnyzap wrote:Hi

My son goes to Knole. Like all of the parents I have spoken to, I can't believe the Ofsted report. I could have sent him to a grammar. I chose Knole because it is local and co-ed. I couldn't be happier and neither could he. He is academically pushed and has lots of extra-curricular stuff to do. He even seems to like sport now. Chronicle suggested it may be a political judgement. In the present climate, I would have to agree.
Can you tell us more please? Whenever I read the data I panic about this school but you are clearly very happy so feel I must be missing the point or that something has changed.
snowqueen9

Post by snowqueen9 »

Hi

Further to what Jonnyzap wrote, my daughter also attends Knole and is extremely happy in the Grammar Stream there. She is also academically pushed and we receive 4 reports a year tracking her progress. In addition to this there have been numerous trips to London theatres/museums, talent shows and productions that the children can join in.

The Ofsted report doesn't reflect the Knole in any way. I couldn't recognise any part of it as the school my daughter attends.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks for that. It's nice to have the parents of two Knole parents responding as we don't seem to get many on here - as you can tell from the lack of responses to Chimera-ma's questions over the last year.

Do the 4x a year progress tracking reports give you any idea or hint what she will get at GCSE if she continues in the same way?

Does she keep her exercise books at home?

Which year is she in?
NotEnoughHours

Post by NotEnoughHours »

Hello all, I am very interested to hear more about Trinity as my child is extremely keen on attending. I have heard very good things about pupil progress and behaviour. The one thing I did hear that worried me was that they have, so far, had a high turnaround of staff since opening. I am firstly unsure as to whether this statement is true? If this is the case could it be simply because it is a brand new school, is this usual? Any light anybody could shed would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Hello, I've never had any luck getting feedback from current Trinity parents via this forum. I'm not sure why, as there must be some Trinity families whose additional primary-age DCs are likely to sit the 11-plus.

I've found Trinity management and office staff approachable and helpful when I've had specific questions, particularly after attending last September's open evening and headteacher talk when I had some follow-up questions before we completed our SCAF form, so you may be better off addressing your questions to them direct.

I haven't heard of staff turnover problems at Trinity. I've been keeping an eye on their website job postings to get a sense of their recruitment priorities and nothing has leapt out at me suggesting a turnover problem. Are you referring to teaching staff turnover specifically?

It wouldn't surprise me, however, to learn of some staff losses in connection with the move to the temporary (whole school) accommodation in portacabins on the Wildernesse site this academic year. It was originally hoped that the new school would be built before the lease on the original site in Riverhead expired, but building was delayed due to the wrangling between KCC and central government about use of the Wildernesse site for Trinity vs a grammar annexe.

Staff and students therefore had to move to cabins adjacent to the building site of the new school, dealing daily with noise and dust. Even now, with two thirds of the exterior of the new building in place, it's noisy - I live within 150 metres of the site, so KNOW - and there will be further disruption from sometime in Spring when the grammar annexe build begins at Wildernesse.

Hopefully, by the end of this year's Summer holiday, much of the worst will be over for Trinity staff and students as they begin to occupy their new building and are afforded better sound protection from the remaining grammar build programme.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now