Wilmington and Dartford Grammar for boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bexley Mum 2

Wilmington and Dartford Grammar for boys

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Now we've got the Bexley test out of the way (I wait anxiously to hear how today's NVR went) I can turn my attention to worrying about the Kent test in January. Could someone please explain to me how the marking system for this works. I know that, in Bexley, the pass mark is usually around 430-434 with around 480 plus being the top 180. I see people refer to marks for the Kent test but I've no idea what constitutes a pass and what would be one of the top scores. And is it just a combined total or do you have to get a certain mark in each paper? We're looking at Wilmington and Dartford (boys) so I'd be interested to know if anyone had any idea what sort of marks were needed there. I think, if I understand Dartford's complex selection criteria, we would need to be one of the 15 highest scores :( , but Wilmington have not been very forthcoming about their selection criteria.

weary of bexley
l_bexley

Post by l_bexley »

My son is from Bexley and is also going to sit the Kent tests in Jan.
I agree that the Dartford Grammar admission criteria puts boys from most of Bexley (including Bexleyheath where we live) near the bottom for places, but at the open evening I was told that, apart from the 15 places for top scorers, there are usually about 30 places available for our criteria group. I know this probably covers a very wide area including Bromley etc., but it did give me slightly more hope.

Ideally I want my son to get a place at Bexley Grammar with his brother, but if not I much preferred Dartford to Wilmington Grammar, though from what I have heard over the years it's much easier to get a place at Wilmington if you live in Bexley.

If all else fails, it's Bexleyheath School - help!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

We didn't actually look at Dartford I'm afraid - disgraceful I know, but we'd run out of steam and decided to just go on its reputation. I wasn't hugely impressed with Wilmington either - or their Ofsted report. To be perfectly honest, I don't want him to go that far afield, but, like you, I don't want him to go to Bexleyheath!! You've heard that it's been put into special measures I take it? And that there are race fights there and allegedly £1m has gone missing from the budget?!!! It's our first non-selective choice! His brother is in Year 8 at Beths which I've been quite pleased with so far.

I'm dreading having to break the news that, actually, his eleven plus tests aren't over today......

How do you think your son will cope with having to do the 3 kent tests and writing piece in one go? I suppose it's better than dragging it out they way we do in Bexley.
l_bexley

Post by l_bexley »

I am worried about son sitting all the Kent tests on the same day. He finds it very hard to concentrate on even one fifty minute test at a time, let alone three, and he hates writing! Still I feel I should give him another shot at passing and going to a grammar school. His marks vary greatly from day to day and, though I feel he is capable, I'm really not sure how well he's done in the Bexley tests.

It was easier with elder son four years ago as you got the result of the Bexley tests before the Kent tests were held in January. It's annoying to think younger son may take the Kent tests when Bexley already know that he's passed.

I am concerned about being allocated a place at Bexleyheath School, but not being a regular church-goer then our options were limited.
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

Refering to the original post re Kent scores, this year to pass you had to score 120 in two papers and 115 in the third. It does not matter which papers you score the 120's in or the 115 (if that makes sense). The highest score that can be acheived on any of the papers was 140. I believe the marks were a point or two lower the previous year. Hope this is what you were after.

Good luck to you all and all your children.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Can I ask if you're going to get him to do the practice tests the Saturday beforehand? I'm tempted to give this a miss and think of his Bexley tests as practice, although the format may well be different and it will be a different environment etc etc. I just think he may go off the boil if he does it all on the 5th and then again on the 12th. Plus he's doing the Colfe's entrance exam on Friday 11th. Colfe's is Plan C and I really hope it won't come to that - we certainly couldn't afford the full fees, but there is a chance he might get a sports scholarship. Then there's the journey ... But I'm trying not to think about the money and the travel unless it comes down to a straight choice between Colfe's and Bexleyheath!
l_bexley

Post by l_bexley »

I think I will get son to sit the Kent practice tests. I think that being familiar with the place, how the tests are administered, timing of breaks etc. might make him feel slightly more relaxed for the real thing. I am worried, though, that he may have had enough of tests by then and just give up.

I may have to resort to bribery at this stage!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now