WOK annexe, how will it work?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chimera-ma

Re: WOK annexe, how will it work?

Post by chimera-ma »

Your reading of the above post differs from mine, Chimneys.

Mystery, I think you're right that the sixth form plan is not at rmuch risk of a legal challenge. Although I don't know the rules re: Comprehensives' selection options for sixth form entry, the Annexe proposal from WoK entailed a co-ed sixth form, as for the principal site, and this was signaled at consultation stage, even though it wasn't publicly heralded that the school would look to implement the sixth form facility before the first Annexe Year 7 cohort progressed through.

Introducing a sixth form early was an obvious way forward with an otherwise largely empty building; no boys' grammar yet being forthcoming with annexe proposals for Sevenoaks. I thought KCC might create a sixth form college at Wildernesse anyway if the WoK annexe proposal had been rejected.

Now that we know of WoK's sixth form plans for Sevenoaks, I think it less likely that a boys' annexe sponsor will be found or that one is still intended to be found, despite Michael Fallon saying in The Sevenoaks Chronicle last week that he was in active discussions (himself) with two potential sponsor schools.

My prediction - previously a speculation - is that WoK will go co-ed at all year levels, subsequent to a further consultation with parents once the sixth form in Sevenoaks is up and running. By then, there will be more Sevenoaks families involved in the school who will be more likely, I think, to favour the change in support of Sevenoaks boys

Re: sports facilities for Year 7 groups combined, the Wildernesse site will have 3 MUGA pitches, the existing all-weather pitch, and two sports halls, including the new one being built for Trinity. The playing fields will be upgraded and, within a couple of hundred metres, there are playing fields in Seal and at the Greatness recreation ground.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, your ideas tally with mine - pure speculation though on my part.

Year sevens going from the Tonbridge site to the annex for sport sounds more likely than vice versa. That's a lot of children travelling though from my memory of how many they verbally announced at an open morning would be admitted in 2017 ... but I can't remember what it was!

The Sevenaoks site wold also have empty classrooms etc if it rained (in the first few years at least) ..... but I know it doesn't rain in Sevenoaks.

I still wonder though if they will feel obliged to do this weekly meeting of all the year sevens. it sound a little "for the sake of it" .... not a lot really to do with education.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh, and reading Nick Morgan's quote again - is it absolutely word for word? She got PHSE wrong.
chimneys

Post by chimneys »

chimera-ma wrote:Your reading of the above post differs from mine, Chimneys.

Mystery, I think you're right that the sixth form plan is not at rmuch risk of a legal challenge. Although I don't know the rules re: Comprehensives' selection options for sixth form entry, the Annexe proposal from WoK entailed a co-ed sixth form, as for the principal site, and this was signaled at consultation stage, even though it wasn't publicly heralded that the school would look to implement the sixth form facility before the first Annexe Year 7 cohort progressed through.

Introducing a sixth form early was an obvious way forward with an otherwise largely empty building; no boys' grammar yet being forthcoming with annexe proposals for Sevenoaks. I thought KCC might create a sixth form college at Wildernesse anyway if the WoK annexe proposal had been rejected.

Now that we know of WoK's sixth form plans for Sevenoaks, I think it less likely that a boys' annexe sponsor will be found or that one is still intended to be found, despite Michael Fallon saying in The Sevenoaks Chronicle last week that he was in active discussions (himself) with two potential sponsor schools.

My prediction - previously a speculation - is that WoK will go co-ed at all year levels, subsequent to a further consultation with parents once the sixth form in Sevenoaks is up and running. By then, there will be more Sevenoaks families involved in the school who will be more likely, I think, to favour the change in support of Sevenoaks boys

Re: sports facilities for Year 7 groups combined, the Wildernesse site will have 3 MUGA pitches, the existing all-weather pitch, and two sports halls, including the new one being built for Trinity. The playing fields will be upgraded and, within a couple of hundred metres, there are playing fields in Seal and at the Greatness recreation ground.
My comment on our very doubting Thomas was only in respect of the year 7 point which you have covered.
mystery

Post by mystery »

The title of this thread is "wok annexe, how will it work". Nicky Morgan's announcement see
med to say that the school intends to get all the year 7s together off both sites for one afternoon per week.

Chimera-ma has the idea that all the year 7s from Tonbridge will go and meet all the year 7s at the Sevenoaks site for sport lessons one afternoon per week. This would mean 180+ children travelling from Tonbridge to Sevenoaks and possibly back again before going home one afternoon per week.

What ideas do other people think? Personally, I hope that if it goes ahead that the notion of having to physically bring the children together in either location is quietly dropped. It's a lot of wasted time for the students and the accompanying staff (not to mention the money) unless they've got some good ideas up their sleeves for meaningful learning to take place on the coach journeys.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

[quote="chimera-ma"]Your reading of the above post differs from mine, Chimneys.

The Headmistress at Wok has assured the parents of 2016 cohort (year 7 in September) that there are absolutely no plans to go co-ed on either site at open evenings etc. I am hoping this is trustworthy as many parents i know have selected Wok ( rather than Togs) based upon this. The 6th form at Wok has for many years invited boys ( as do Judd invite girls etc) so this is not news. Id always assumed the 6th form on the Sevenoaks site would offer a mixed 6th form and indeed should to be align with the Tunbridge model.

I dont agree that with more Sevenoaks parents that a co-ed solution will be considered any more favourably than it was a year ago, there were plenty of sevenoaks parents there then. To the contrary the existing parents will be worried enough about the impact of an "annex" on the original school to welcome any further significant changes.

Having said all of this, who knows what will happen if, as i suspect, the new grammar is half full in 2017 as parents still seek established schools a short bus ride away in Tonbridge and T wells.
kent mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

Not sure about that last thought as they wish to admit 90 girls to the annex in year 7 in 2017. As there is one admission policy any year 7that year could be directed to the annex so they will surely make sure there are 90 year 7 there even if they had fewer applications than usual.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

So leave a shortfall in Tonbridge site or admit those that haven't passed the 11 plus ? There simply aren't enough girls after these places.

Have they officially decided on a site selection process. I thought you could request a preferred site. So even if you lived in Sevenoaks you could ask for the Tonbridge site ?

In my ( humble) opinion there will be a lot who'd prefer the established Tonbridge site rather than the guinea pig one :? What about if there are siblings already there ?

I guess we'll just have to wait on the information (or lack of ) from the schools in due course
kent mum
chimneys

Post by chimneys »

JJ123 wrote: Having said all of this, who knows what will happen if, as i suspect, the new grammar is half full in 2017 as parents still seek established schools a short bus ride away in Tonbridge and T wells.
Brilliant!! You really are kidding unless you consider an hour or more short (door to door) for TEC/Skinners/TWGGS?

And then there's the danger of rammed full buses. On numerous occasions of late have witnessed kids sitting on the front window shelf, as well as standing, upstairs whilst bus is flying down dual carriageway.

I really fear a major accident involving one of those buses one of these days.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

JJ123 wrote: The Headmistress at Wok has assured the parents of 2016 cohort (year 7 in September) that there are absolutely no plans to go co-ed on either site at open evenings etc. I am hoping this is trustworthy as many parents i know have selected Wok ( rather than Togs) based upon this. The 6th form at Wok has for many years invited boys ( as do Judd invite girls etc) so this is not news. Id always assumed the 6th form on the Sevenoaks site would offer a mixed 6th form and indeed should to be align with the Tunbridge model.

I dont agree that with more Sevenoaks parents that a co-ed solution will be considered any more favourably than it was a year ago, there were plenty of sevenoaks parents there then. To the contrary the existing parents will be worried enough about the impact of an "annex" on the original school to welcome any further significant changes.
I think the key difference in consultation outcomes would be that Sevenoaks parents whose girls are at the Sevenoaks annexe - and parents with boys and girls in the Sixth Form annexe - would be more disposed to the change to mixed intake in Year 7. I don't mean that there will be overwhelming support, but enough to balance out the protests.

Any family that chooses the WoK annexe in Sevenoaks will do so in the knowledge that boys in Years 7-11 will share the site before long, given that KCC plans a boys' grammar provision onsite one way or another, so they are more likely to support the idea, I would think.

I hear what you're saying about the Headteacher's assurances, but "no plans" is quite often politico-speech for "nothing formal at this stage". Bear in mind that it is not long ago that WoK was arguing against the need for any additional selective provision in Sevenoaks, then it lodged a proposal in competition with Invicta. And I don't think last year's consultation on going co-ed was expected either - although you might know differently, as I've never had any direct involvement with WoK.

Some annexe places may well remain unfilled in the first couple of years, but I think there will be quite strong demand from surrounding villages. There are many parents in Sevenoaks too, like me and Chimneys, who really don't like the travel difficulties for their DCs and the loss of valuable time to commuting.

In the medium-term, I think demand will exceed even KCC projections, since nearby Seal Primary School is to double in size following last month's KCC approval of building plans. This will draw more families to the area near both schools, particularly as property prices in Seal are more affordable than Sevenoaks Town. There are bound to be families attracted by WoK's "outstanding" status and Seal Primary's "good" rating and its achievement in getting 100% of pupils to the Level 4 benchmark in SATs 2 tests last year. (Level 5 results were unremarkable however.)

There will be families on the train line to the nearest station, Bat & Ball, perhaps as far as Bromley South, who will consider WoK in Sevenoaks. The train line and Bat & Ball station are due for upgrade by 2018 and Sevenoaks Town Council is building its new premises adjacent to the station, with more ambitious regeneration plans for the vicinity.

I can't see the annexe failing as an initiative, although it will be a major challenge for the school management team, and the learning environment remains an uncertain prospect in the first couple of years.