Appealing for Kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Shiv

Re: Appealing for Kent

Post by Shiv »

Hello

Be reassured that your chances of success are high. So long as you can prove high academic ability throughout school.
My daughter 2 years ago was 7 marks under in Maths. She did have a high aggregate score however and her academic ability throughout school was clear to see. Gifted & Talented and working at highest levels in school. There were 37 appeals heard for the school and only 9 passed the appeal process, of which she was one.
She is now in the Grammar school and in a higher ability maths group, where she has remained while some of her friends who did pass the maths on the day remain in the lower ability maths group.

It's your child's overall academic ability and progress between sitting the test and when they go to appeal that matter. The wait is frustrating though but you will know before your child finishes school.
Your Head Teacher should have put forward any pupils they feel are worthy of appeal but this has to be evidenced from year 5 work when they were only perhaps 9 years of age. My daughter didn't get through Head Teachers appeal although they did put her forward for it. No reason was ever given by the Headteacher panel though. I think that is all down to the Head whether or not they get involved in appeals. Just present a strong academic case and you should do ok.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The appeal hearing lets you explain to an independent appeal panel why you think your child should be given a place at the school.
http://www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-ch ... /kent-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In order to appeal you need to apply for a Kent grammar school on your CAF. Once they have turned down your application, you will then have the right to appeal to explain why you think grammar school is a suitable option for your child.
hoysss

Post by hoysss »

Shiv wrote:Hello

Be reassured that your chances of success are high. So long as you can prove high academic ability throughout school.
My daughter 2 years ago was 7 marks under in Maths. She did have a high aggregate score however and her academic ability throughout school was clear to see. Gifted & Talented and working at highest levels in school. There were 37 appeals heard for the school and only 9 passed the appeal process, of which she was one.
She is now in the Grammar school and in a higher ability maths group, where she has remained while some of her friends who did pass the maths on the day remain in the lower ability maths group.

It's your child's overall academic ability and progress between sitting the test and when they go to appeal that matter. The wait is frustrating though but you will know before your child finishes school.
Your Head Teacher should have put forward any pupils they feel are worthy of appeal but this has to be evidenced from year 5 work when they were only perhaps 9 years of age. My daughter didn't get through Head Teachers appeal although they did put her forward for it. No reason was ever given by the Headteacher panel though. I think that is all down to the Head whether or not they get involved in appeals. Just present a strong academic case and you should do ok.
Hi all,my son failed the test too.
He had 101 102 117,Aggregate score 320....
should I make the appeal? And how to appeal? I need to contact the school Head Teacher to make the appeal?
sitheshini

Post by sitheshini »

My daughter scored a total of 330 but was deemed unsuitable due to her English which she only scored 99. do you think it will be worth appealing? please let me know.
Dantsw13

Post by Dantsw13 »

I would guess it depends on whether you believe the English result is a fair reflection, or just bad luck on the day? English has been an easy paper the last 2 years, so a couple of silly mistakes on a 25 question paper can drop the score considerably.

If you are really set on grammar, then you have nothing to lose I guess. I'd be having a conversation with the primary head about the situation, IMHO.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

sitheshini wrote:My daughter scored a total of 330 but was deemed unsuitable due to her English which she only scored 99. do you think it will be worth appealing? please let me know.
Ask your headteacher if it went to headteacher appeal, if not why not and if it did and was turned what the reason was? Then gather as much evidence as you can as to her ability in English and prove it was a blip on the day.
sitheshini

Post by sitheshini »

Thank you Dantsw13 and twinkles...

Do I put the schools of my choice on the CAF and then appeal when they turn us down?
ilesoleil

Post by ilesoleil »

sitheshini as long as you have reasons/evidence that your daughter's academic ability (in english especially in her case) and also reasons as to why she might not have performed on the day, then you should appeal! Do try and find out if your head appealed on her behalf.
As for the form, do include the GS as you will only be able to appeal to the schools you have selected.
Good luck!
Shiv

Post by Shiv »

We had no reasons for my daughter failing on the day and admitted that to the panel. However, she had a very strong academic case and a high aggregate score due to high scores on her other 2 papers. I included an Educational Psychologists report which the school allowed to take place on their premises so it was more like a test type environment. It's not necessary to have reasons for failing on the day, less so if close to the pass mark.
sitheshini

Post by sitheshini »

ilesoleil wrote:sitheshini as long as you have reasons/evidence that your daughter's academic ability (in english especially in her case) and also reasons as to why she might not have performed on the day, then you should appeal! Do try and find out if your head appealed on her behalf.
As for the form, do include the GS as you will only be able to appeal to the schools you have selected.
Good luck!
Thank you ilesoleil, will speak to the Head.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now