Kent Test 2015 Raw pass marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

Re: Kent Test 2015 Raw pass marks

Post by salsa »

ScaredDad wrote:How do parents find out the raw marks?
You can email kent.admissions@kent.gov.uk quoting your child's name, date of birth and the ID given by them at the time of the test.
ScaredDad

Post by ScaredDad »

thank you salsa.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Pleasure. They may take a few days, but you get the answer eventually.
Heleneric

Post by Heleneric »

Thank you very much to everyone who posted their children's raw scores. It was really helpful.

From the 5 sets of scores posted it's reasonable to conclude that the pass mark for English was probably around 13/24 or 54%. The pass mark for Maths was around 12/25 or 48%. The pass mark for reasoning is less clear but probably around 40/80 or 50% - everyone did so well on reasoning there wasn't quite the range of marks required to make a firm estimate.

I haven't factored the age weighting into this.

What it does mean is that KCC and GL have addressed some of the issues from the new style 2014 test so that the pass mark for English this year is lower and the pass mark for Maths is higher, thus bringing the two papers more in line with each other.

Conclusion: Children have to score about 55% or more to a achieve a safe pass for the Kent 11+. Hopefully this will hold for 2016.
NellHunter

Post by NellHunter »

salsa wrote:You don't need to know the raw scores. People are kindly posting them here so that parents of future takers can have an idea of what percentage their child would need to achieve for a particular standardised score.

We often think that for a pass our children need 90% and stress accordingly. On the other hand, we may be from out of catchment or going for a super-selective. In this case, it does help to know what raw scores produced a high score.
Ah, I see. Really wish I'd known to look at that before DD took the test! You're right, it would have saved loads of stress! Thanks for the reply.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Heleneric wrote:Thank you very much to everyone who posted their children's raw scores. It was really helpful.

From the 5 sets of scores posted it's reasonable to conclude that the pass mark for English was probably around 13/24 or 54%. The pass mark for Maths was around 12/25 or 48%. The pass mark for reasoning is less clear but probably around 40/80 or 50% - everyone did so well on reasoning there wasn't quite the range of marks required to make a firm estimate.

I haven't factored the age weighting into this.

What it does mean is that KCC and GL have addressed some of the issues from the new style 2014 test so that the pass mark for English this year is lower and the pass mark for Maths is higher, thus bringing the two papers more in line with each other.

Conclusion: Children have to score about 55% or more to a achieve a safe pass for the Kent 11+. Hopefully this will hold for 2016.
Yes, that appears to be roughly right based on the info we have on here so far. Maybe when various people's FOI requests are responded to we'll have more understanding of that - but yes, on the face of it it does look as though the silliness with the English last year has been remedied this year. I wonder why they went so "wrong" with it last year.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

Is anyone still waiting for their raw scores?
The email I got originally said not to send chasing emails but I'm sure I should have heard by now.
I know it's a bit irrelevant but I am curious.
Tortuous

Post by Tortuous »

I have seen the pass marks on another website about the Kent Eleven Plus...it seems that for an August born child to pass in maths, only 10/25 questions were needed to be answered correctly...I don't think that this can be a truly fair test of ability? I wonder how it came to be like this?
mystery

Post by mystery »

10 out of 25 for an August born child to pass the maths - did the other site get this information from an individual child's scores or from a freedom of information request asking what the raw scores to pass the test were for children of different ages?

Why do you feel that the raw score being as low as 10 out of 25 means it is not a fair test of ability?
bala977

Post by bala977 »

northkentparent wrote:Hi- I've had both my children take the 11+ over the past 2 years- and the back to back experience has been.......taxing :!:
The discussions and topics raised on this site have been very beneficial to me- so thankyou all for your help and advice (even if I've been a silent follower over these past 2 years).
I've home-tutored both, and with all the knowledge/experience attained I am keen to help others through the process- what pitfalls to avoid (eg: paper 1 of the NVR GL Assessment Practice Papers! :shock: ) and the techniques I found useful. Where is the best place to share my experiences?

Coincidentally, both my children got exactly the same standardised result (both also have the same relative age at the time of the exam of 10yrs and 3 months)- and so provide a little guidance on the evolution of the marking scheme over the 2 years.
I've provided the raw score and then the standardised score:

2014 Kent Test exam- Child 1:
Reasoning: 75/80 (141)
Maths: 23/30 (132)
English: 22/24 (127)

2015 Kent Test exam- Child 2:
Reasoning: 67/80 (138)
Maths: 24/25 (141)
English: 19/24 (121)
Wow. This is amazing and full credits to you.

My DS will be taking the Kent exams in Sept 2016 and I will greatly appreciate your success formula. Is there a way you an share it with me? I don't believe in hiring tutors as (a) I have the ability and time to teach DS and (b) I know his wave length and can teach things fast as I know exactly what examples to give. Still under lot of peer pressure to hire tutors, so want to hear your story.

Many thanks for your time.