Kent Test 2015 Raw pass marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

northkentparent

Re: Kent Test 2015 Raw pass marks

Post by northkentparent »

Hi- I've had both my children take the 11+ over the past 2 years- and the back to back experience has been.......taxing :!:
The discussions and topics raised on this site have been very beneficial to me- so thankyou all for your help and advice (even if I've been a silent follower over these past 2 years).
I've home-tutored both, and with all the knowledge/experience attained I am keen to help others through the process- what pitfalls to avoid (eg: paper 1 of the NVR GL Assessment Practice Papers! :shock: ) and the techniques I found useful. Where is the best place to share my experiences?

Coincidentally, both my children got exactly the same standardised result (both also have the same relative age at the time of the exam of 10yrs and 3 months)- and so provide a little guidance on the evolution of the marking scheme over the 2 years.
I've provided the raw score and then the standardised score:

2014 Kent Test exam- Child 1:
Reasoning: 75/80 (141)
Maths: 23/30 (132)
English: 22/24 (127)

2015 Kent Test exam- Child 2:
Reasoning: 67/80 (138)
Maths: 24/25 (141)
English: 19/24 (121)
mystery

Post by mystery »

So, from what some if you have said each mistake in English cost around 3 standardised score points whereas last year it cost about 5 standardised score points. So they toughened up the English a bit this year to bring it more in line with the other papers but it still means that the English result has more impact on the overall result than the other two papers. It might explain why year 7 boy we know at superselective is noticing some chikdren oretty weak at maths but who nevertheless made the superselective cutoff.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thank you for sharing. Congratulations on your children's great scores. It's interesting to see that there is a big difference between the number of marks lost for each wrong English answer for both years. I guess they may have adjusted this as so many failed the English last year; They may have made the test harder of course.
northkentparent

Mystery-
I guess it makes sense that they evolve the exam each year. This year there were 5 fewer questions in Maths (from 30 to 25). The Maths paper in 2014 was very tricky.
I can't help thinking (without going into any detail) that one of the spatial sections in the 2015 reasoning paper seemed very hard too- maybe too hard.
salsa

Post by salsa »

mystery wrote:So, from what some if you have said each mistake in English cost around 3 standardised score points whereas last year it cost about 5 standardised score points. So they toughened up the English a bit this year to bring it more in line with the other papers but it still means that the English result has more impact on the overall result than the other two papers. It might explain why year 7 boy we know at superselective is noticing some chikdren oretty weak at maths but who nevertheless made the superselective cutoff.
They also reduced the number of questions in Maths, so each wrong answer would also cost more.
northkentparent

Correction: both my children were 10yrs and 9 months. (Not 3 months!!) at the time of their respective exams
vinitasurya

Post by vinitasurya »

Received DS's raw scores yesterday if it helps. He was 10 years 11 months during the test
Maths 21/25 (134)
English 21/25 (126)
Reasoning 69/80 (141)
NellHunter

Post by NellHunter »

Stupid question probably, but out of interest, what do we need to know the raw score for? Is it just if you are considering appeal? We don't have them, but I can't see what it will add to what we know already.
salsa

Post by salsa »

You don't need to know the raw scores. People are kindly posting them here so that parents of future takers can have an idea of what percentage their child would need to achieve for a particular standardised score.

We often think that for a pass our children need 90% and stress accordingly. On the other hand, we may be from out of catchment or going for a super-selective. In this case, it does help to know what raw scores produced a high score.
ScaredDad

Post by ScaredDad »

How do parents find out the raw marks?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now