More SCAF help

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twellsmum

More SCAF help

Post by twellsmum »

Can someone in the know please just clarify something for me. If you did not get a grammar assessment but want to appeal for a grammar, I know that you have to put the grammar or grammars on the SCAF. I thought that you had to put them first and the other schools that you wanted after that on the basis that you had to have been turned down by the grammar to be able to appeal to them. If you put a High School first and were accepted for that High School then you haven't been turned down by the grammar school. A friend has been told that she has to put the High School first ahead of the grammar to stand any chance of getting in. Does anyone know for certain what needs to be done please?
twindad

Re: More SCAF help

Post by twindad »

Of course your first choice seems to be Grammar school , so you must put this option at top. It is not reasonable to appeal for second choice when you have already got your first option.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

twellsmum wrote:Can someone in the know please just clarify something for me. If you did not get a grammar assessment but want to appeal for a grammar, I know that you have to put the grammar or grammars on the SCAF. I thought that you had to put them first and the other schools that you wanted after that on the basis that you had to have been turned down by the grammar to be able to appeal to them. If you put a High School first and were accepted for that High School then you haven't been turned down by the grammar school. A friend has been told that she has to put the High School first ahead of the grammar to stand any chance of getting in. Does anyone know for certain what needs to be done please?
Whoever your friend's informant is, your friend should ignore him / her.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Thanks twindad and toadmum, having three teenagers and a trainee teenager, it is good to know that I am right some times!
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Well apparently I am not right, KCC Admissions have said to put "High School, High School, Grammar, Grammar". I am still going to put Grammar, followed by three High Schools on my form though.
hempsteadlad

Post by hempsteadlad »

As they are equal preferences, it does not matter. As your child was not assessed for a Grammar School place, clearly they will not offer a place. The system will then look at number two, then three and then four. You ought to consider Knole, (depending on the journey), they have a Grammar stream for those who just fail.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Thanks hempsteadlad, this was for a friend, not me. I wouldn't consider Knole because it would be a very long bus journey or train journey (or both) and we actually live about quarter of a mile away from Tec and from Greg's, but thanks for the suggestion. Greg's apparently have a grammar stream too.
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

Presumably it helps KCC's percentage first preference figure if a high school child puts a high school first. Call me cynical...