Moving to Kent for grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PettswoodFiona

Re: Moving to Kent for grammar school

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I haven't read the admissions procedure of all Kent schools but I would say yes for all those that are NW Kent. Test date this year was 12th Sep for OOC, results 14th Oct. new address notification by 10th Dec but of course dates will change each year.
sandra

Post by sandra »

And is it just one exam for all Kent grammar schools?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The Kent test is for all KCC schools, some schools are in the county of Kent, but not under the KCC Local authority if that makes sense.

http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/fam ... entrds.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

sandra wrote:And is it just one exam for all Kent grammar schools?
Yes but Medway (sometimes confused as part of Kent) is a separate test. Also some of the schools like Dover have their own test and parents can choose which to sit but you need to check the admissions policy for the school you're interested in as I saw one thread where a parent whose DC failed Kent but passed the Dover test was facing the prospect of an appeal.

Kent will only tell you if your DC is suitable for grammar or suitable for high school. They won't tell you you're score, the school pass this on to the parents and the headteacher sees the test results a few weeks before the parents do and can appeal on the child's behalf of they consider they should have passed. You only need to worry about the score if you are after a place at one of the superselectives, otherwise a pass and being in right parish / distance etc is enough.
sandra

Post by sandra »

I understand Kent 11+ test has English, Maths and Reasoning element - are they all given equal weightage? Just clarifying as I have heard in Bucks the importance is as follows: 50% Verbal, 30% Maths and 20% Non verbal.

Also, tests for OoC children are on a different date, would you know if these are harder than the the test for children in catchment?
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

The tests are the same for children wherever they live - in or outside Kent
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

sandra wrote:I understand Kent 11+ test has English, Maths and Reasoning element - are they all given equal weightage? Just clarifying as I have heard in Bucks the importance is as follows: 50% Verbal, 30% Maths and 20% Non verbal.

?
In Kent each are equally weighted. Unlike Bucks or Bexley - Kent merge the verbal and non-verbal reasoning into one score therefore you get a third of the total score for maths, a third for English and a third for reasoning - the latter being both verbal and non-verbal reasoning. Some sections have fewer questions so it can squew things if you get more proportionally wrong in those sections. In Bexley they weight 50% English and 25% Maths and 25% NVR as NVR is a more mathematical type skill so it evens out what appears to be a heavy weighting for English but actually isn't.
sandra

Post by sandra »

Many thanks for the info!