Allocation Day 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

salsa

Re: Allocation Day 2016

Post by salsa »

Diamondmum wrote:Hi all,

My DD just missed the cut off for TOGS as well so we will go on the wait list. Does this mean we should appeal as well? Not sure if the next round of offers will come in before I need to submit appeal papers?

Many thanks,
Preparing an appeal is time consuming, so I would get onto the Appeals section of this forum now. What you need is an over subscription appeal.
Normally, the second round of allocations comes first and then appeals are heard around May. So, if you get a space before, you can always withdraw your appeal. If you just missed, it's very possible that all you need is the second round. Good luck.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

We are going to have to appeal for our son to go to TWGSB. Does anyone know of anyone who passed who wanted a place there and did not get it. Just trying to assess how many G assessed there will be appealing. Thanks!
salsa

Post by salsa »

twellsmum wrote:We are going to have to appeal for our son to go to TWGSB. Does anyone know of anyone who passed who wanted a place there and did not get it. Just trying to assess how many G assessed there will be appealing. Thanks!
You can write to the school and ask for the data for the last five years. So, how many over subscription appeals were lodged and how many were upheld.
How close are you with your score? Maybe the second round will be enough? Good luck.
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

Last year there was less pressure for boys places, and with Judd's new admissions policy and the cut off very similar for Skinners, I think you may well find most boys who wanted TWGSB have got in this year. My DS had a friend last year who missed out on a Grammar assessment, despite a really good overall score. They appealed for TWGSB and got a place...so it is certainly worth a try. My eldest DS is there in year 10, and is very happy.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear :-). I have BTDTGTS with regard to appeals for TWGSB as had to appeal for #1 son who is now there in Y9. That I think was the first year that Skinners and Judd added the extra form but I saw that last year only 28% of appeals for TWGSB were successful. We were very close, so keeping everything crossed. It will really be helpful if there are no G assessed boys appealing though. Can't believe I have to do this all over again (and this time in conjunction with DD1 doing A levels and DD2 doing GCSEs). Will be hitting the gin!
ppsmum

Post by ppsmum »

dd got 348. living next door to dartford girls grammar. she didnt get in any grammar school..(dartford girls, wilmington or mayfield). any hope from second round of allocations?
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

ppsmum I'm shocked that your daughter didn't get a place anywhere. I've got a friend who got Wilmington Girls, lives OOC and had a score lower than your daughter's - both the Wilmington Grammars offer places to those in parishes first, for which you would qualify above any OOC child, regardless of score. If I were you, I'd ring either the school or the Kent council admissions.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

ppsmum wrote:dd got 348. living next door to dartford girls grammar. she didnt get in any grammar school..(dartford girls, wilmington or mayfield). any hope from second round of allocations?
Sorry to ask the obvious but did you send in the SIFs for Dartford and Wilmington and/or did you move? I ask as I heard that this happened to a friend of a friend last year and they put the schools on their CAF but hadn't sent in the required SIFs, another who moved after the SIFs were submitted with their old address but then into new address before the December date. In the end both got a Bexley school off the wait list so they didn't pursue the Kent option.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now