Dartford Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
salsa

Re: Dartford Grammar School

Post by salsa »

Admissions have replied IN 351 and OOC 376.
RoboR

Post by RoboR »

salsa wrote:Admissions have replied IN 351 and OOC 376.
Is this for the 2nd round cut off ? I was told that OOC was 375 (Feeling nervous !)
salsa

Post by salsa »

First round. The second round doesn't happen until around Easter.
RAJESSEX

Post by RAJESSEX »

Dartford Grammar School, the most oversubscribed school in the county.
Last edited by RAJESSEX on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mad?

Post by mad? »

RAJESSEX

For copyright reasons I suspect you need to reference the source of this material, unless of course you have collated and written it yourself.
mad?
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

For selective schools it is hard to define 'most oversubscribed'. For example for Newstead Woods over 1,000 sit the test for 160 places but then when results come through and people realise they aren't in with a chance based on the required score for the past number of years the school doesn't go on their CAF so the number of applicants via CAF doesn't reflect interest in the school. I suspect Dartford Boys having previously admitted students with a pass, this year will be a shock to some and most will have thought they were in with a chance so put it on their forms. After a couple of years if the current trend of needing a good score to get in continues then those with a pass but not a high score may not even put it on their forms so it might 'appear' the school is less popular, but it is just a result of the trend. All of my thoughts are of course assumption and conjecture. However looking at a certain person's blog they state "Main pressure points are in West and North West Kent, led by Dartford Grammar, 226 first choice applications oversubscribed, followed by the three West Kent super selectives and Dartford Grammar School for Girls...At the other end of the scale, ten grammar schools have vacancies on allocation."
doodles

Post by doodles »

I do think you're right PWF, schools, like everything else, go through popularity trends which wax and wane. I don't know but I would assume that most of the vacancies are in East Kent which totally reflects the demographics of this funny shaped county of ours.
Peter

Post by Peter »

"Dartford Grammar School the most oversubscribed in the county". I will reference it as I wrote it. "Main pressure points are in West and North West Kent, led by Dartford Grammar, 226 first choice applications oversubscribed, followed by the three West Kent super selectives and Dartford Grammar School for Girls. There is then a sharp fall to the next most popular school, Wilmington Grammar School for Boys but still at 49 first choices rejected." My definition of oversubscribed is unambiguous; it is grammar qualified first choices turned away, with second choice Tonbridge Grammar some way away at 142. The pressure on the four Dartford grammars comes from SE London and whilst many Dartford local children had a shock as they lost out on places unless they scored well over the county pass mark, they lost grammar school places to the annual pressure, increasing year on year from ooc. Dartford also headed the list in 2015 with 162 first choices turned away, and 2014 with 146, so this is an increasing trend. This year 81 oocs were offered places at DGS, from as far away as Newham and Southwark. Spare a thought for the Kent children, living in this selective authority, qualified for grammar school, who lost out as a consequence. Some do not have a grammar school place.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Thanks Peter, I know this site doesn't always like us linking to other sites so good to have you here too.
RoboR

Post by RoboR »

Thank you for clearly explaining it and yes it is unfair for local children and parents.