GL Multiple choice papers - guidance on scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PettswoodFiona

Re: GL Multiple choice papers - guidance on scores

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Good luck Sobz, that was our strategy last year and DD starts at Newstead this September. :D Dartford girls does need more than just a pass I believe (unless they have a low number of applications) and the score seemed to go higher this year especially for out of county as the Wilmimgton catchment (which is just a pass) was so small this year. Townley came out 8 miles and I love the Head there. Good luck.
Dantsw13

Post by Dantsw13 »

My DD has just been accepted for TGS for an OOC place, and scored 388 in the Kent Test. In practice papers she scored anywhere between 70 & 90%.

Don't confuse high Kent test scores with high raw exam scores. Initially I thought near perfect exam scores were required which is certainly not the case. Good luck!!
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Thanks so much Pettswood Fiona and Dantsw13- that is very very reassuring!
Newstead would be my first choice if she gets a good score. let's see how she does.
Let me know how you find the school once your DD starts! Good luck to her Pettswood Fiona!
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Thanks for the replies. Sobz I am doing what Purpleduck is suggesting ie; sitting next to ds, particularly for the English part of these papers as my ds struggles with the comp and spellings and is wont to just give up! It has given me an insight into how ds needs to approach the paper and what may be going wrong (usually getting stuck and not moving on!). It's worth doing for a few weeks I think as long as you don't chip in too much (which I was doing at first!).
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

My twins did GL papers for Dorset and I had this question last year! One of my twins was scoring 70-80% in English and 70% in VR and high 60's in Maths. Her sister was scoring lower; high 60's-70 in English and VR and low 60's in Maths. I was very worried. Other parents told me their children scored 80-90% in their papers. :o Mine never scored that high.
The maths got much better over time. I kept forgetting that they were in the middle of year 5 and were doing topics that were completely new and had never seen. The verbal reasoning also improved as their technique got better. They got more questions done in the time allowed and then learnt to focus on the ones they were better at and to move on and come back to the more difficult/time consuming ones. When the results came out my second twin scored 7 marks lower in maths than her sister. They both passed. The pass mark was 294 and they achieved 333 and 307. It was a stressful time and I felt bad for not having more faith!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now