here we go again, son last year, daughter this year!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cindy

here we go again, son last year, daughter this year!!

Post by cindy »

Hi to all,

I used this website last year and found it invaluable. My Son Christopher
failed his test by one mark. We appealed and he did win on appeal.
Now my Daughter Melanie is due to take hers in January.
I intend to use the same methods. Both children have had no private coaching, an issue which I did regret when Christopher was one point short. However, looking back, this was a true reflection of his ability.
As I said this year I will do the same. I do intend help her get used to the stucture of the test by using NFER practice papers.

I found it most helpful, as a starting point, to reflect on the last SAT's test and Teacher Assessment for year 5. I obtained a copy of this from the school.
At the bottom of that there are results for another test, which is like the 11+, it is split into the same non vebal, verbal and maths results. This
gives me a clearer indication of her ability, in fact it showed that like for like, she would have passed the 11+, but for three points short on her non verbal. I found this useful, to help me focus, now knowing that this was her weak area.
I feel I should also point out that Christophers result in that same test were not as good as Melanie's by a long way, but he still acheived good scores in the 11+.
As I did with Christopher, I shall use the carrot and stick approach. I feel that this will help focus her, although she will still need the ability herself.

Good luck....

Cindy
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now