Weald Girls Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lovemykid

Weald Girls Grammar

Post by Lovemykid »

Hi has everyone in Westerham, Brasted, Crockham Hill seen the notice about Weald's change of admissions criteria which now excludes these areas? Consultation seems to have been kept very quiet and we only received notification last Friday which was the deadline for comments. Seems a bit crazy that the new Sevenoaks annex will now be open to people in Wrotham but not in the areas above. :(
PurpleDog

Re: Weald Girls Grammar

Post by PurpleDog »

I really can't see that you will have a problem. The catchment area is much smaller than the current distance girls travel to Weald so I'm pretty sure anyone who would have got in this year will get in next year, especially as there will be 9 form entry.

Westerham is 10 miles from Tonbridge as the crow flies and even closer to the midpoint between the two schools which will be the relevant distance. Our daughter has been offered a place this year and we live 15 miles from Tonbrige as the crow flies and further from the midpoint.

If you are concerned, speak to the admissions lady Mrs Manning who is extremely helpful. I'm sure she will be able to reassure you.
Lovemykid

Post by Lovemykid »

Thanks but I think you have missed the point. We have received notification that says the catchment area is changing from 2017 entry and that children from Westerham area will not be in the catchment. It's on the website too. So children from this area got in this year but won't do in the future.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

I can understand your concern, however I think that in reality you are highly likely to get a place anyway. There will be many more places and it could go out by many miles. The inner catchment area is smaller but it doesn't include anyone not already in catchment anyway (I don't think). As *purpledog* says it went out about 14 miles this year and there were almost 30 fewer places available.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

I might not have explained myself very well, but the new inner catchment area is very small compared to the final cut off distance this year and in previous years.
There is a map on the Weald website somewhere which shows where girls were taken from in previous years.
Unless there is a sudden influx into the inner catchment area or Weald suddenly becomes much more popular, the inner catchment area is likely to be pretty much irrelevant and distance from the mid point will be the cut-off point.
However, as I said, don't take my word for it, speak to the admissions lady at Weald who I am sure will reassure you.
I'm not really sure why they have decided to have an inner catchment area as it is unlikely to be the deciding factor on who gets a place.
mystery

Post by mystery »

We are treated in the same way in the new admissions policy. It isn't a problem in reality though. Contact them and they will reassure you.

I am not quite sure why they did put big chunk of Sevenoaks District into category B though. Doesn't seem "politically" correct seeing that the location of the new annex was supposed to be because there was no grammar school in Sevenoaks District. Clearly some areas of Sevenoaks District are more "Sevenoaks" than others!!
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

The Weald consultation on 2017 Admissions has ended and the school has decided NOT to change the previously agreed oversubscription criteria after all, so interested families in Westerham, Brasted, etc, can rest easier. :)
Lovemykid

Post by Lovemykid »

Yeah, that's a relief!
bengalmum

Post by bengalmum »

Hello everyone,

I have been to Weald today with my daughter and we loved the school. We live near Lingfield in Surrey. My daughter got a score of 369 which i don't think is going to be enough for an OOC place at TGS. I'm concerned that if i put TGS and Weald, then a third comp local to us, we may not get offered either grammar place and then not get our third choice school. This could potentially mean she ends up at a pretty awful school in Horley - so the complete opposite end of the spectrum and a total disaster.

With regards to naming schools on the SCAF im sure i read somewhere that the schools aren't made aware of whether they were 1st or 2nd preference. Why do they urge you to put them as first option?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as in Surrey we don't really have many going for the Kent Test so not really anyone to discuss this with!

Thanks so much. :D
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

The reason for the preference is that if you are offered your first choice your second won't be considered. You just get one offer from your first choice.

If you don't get your first it then bounces to the second school etc.....
But it is correct no.2 won't know they were second. They will just be advised you want a place and if they can they will offer you irrespective of where you placed them.
kent mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now