Is comprehension in the Kent Test for 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

catherinesara71

Is comprehension in the Kent Test for 2016

Post by catherinesara71 »

Could you please clarify if comprehension is in this year's Kent Test.

Thanking you in advance
northkentparent

Re: Is comprehension in the Kent Test for 2016

Post by northkentparent »

catherinesara71 wrote:Could you please clarify if comprehension is in this year's Kent Test.

Thanking you in advance

Both the 2014 and 2015 Kent Test English papers included a comprehension element to them.

It is probably worth mentioning that GL assessment, who set the Kent Test, also produce sample papers (for English they have two sets of 4 tests). Both my children noted that there were similarities between the structure of questions in the sample papers and those found in the Kent Test itself. It is worth noting that, from their feedback, the section they found hardest in the GL sample paper (the section on "capital letters and punctuation") was not been in either the 2014 or 2015 paper.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Very useful feedback than you.

I really surprises me that your dc found the capital letters and punctuation the hardest section.

There is so very little available to them to use in this section that I have always thought it to be the easiest. DG
salsa

Post by salsa »

You have to be very confident with your punctuation to do this question right. Moreover, they have one sentence without a mistake which makes it trickier. I've seen things like missing a closing quotation mark or a full stop. Simple as these errors might be, when you are under pressure and reading fast, your brain may fill in the gaps.
northkentparent

I think Salsa has hit the nail on the head.
For not only are the kids looking for missing capital letters and full stops- but there are also missing exclamation marks, commas, apostrophes (contraction and possession), inverted commas, question marks, brackets (etc) to contend with. Coupled with this, at the back of their mind they are aware that some of the questions have no punctuation errors....which under timed conditions makes it tricky.

I wonder if this is why this type of question was not in the 2014 and 2015 papers.........
catherinesara71

I have to say that this test is very tough. I am an English Teacher for the GCSE.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

But these things are all part of KS2 punctuation. They should be using all of these in their creative writing. If they don't they won't be in the top band.

All students sitting GL English exams have a page of this every year. It is a very high scoring section and I expect it to become even higher because of the renewed emphasis on SPAG at primary school.

I expect many of the boys who sit QE to do very well in this section as it is all things that are a part of our daily language.

If you read a lot missing punctuation screams out at you. Ten year olds should not be losing marks in this section if they have been taught KS2 punctuation at school. DG
catherinesara71

Yes he is and is good at it. Some of the vocabulary in the verbal reasoning uses words he doesn't know,but I am teaching him the skills required for that part.

The curriculum changed when he was in year 4 so a lot of what he does know, I have brought him up to speed.

Just seems quite a tough test. Just airing my view.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DG's post was a bit abrupt - what one person finds easy another does not necessarily.

Everyone is different.

OP - DG is a tutor in a more 'ruthless' 11+ area then Kent.
northkentparent

Daogroupie wrote: Ten year olds should not be losing marks in this section if they have been taught KS2 punctuation at school. DG
I must confess, I don't agree with you on this one. It feels a little like saying no ten year old should be losing marks in the maths section if they have been taught maths at school!

My personal view (and it is just a personal view) is that under exam conditions these punctuation tests can be trickier than most. However, I guess every kid is different.

I'm personally useless at these type of questions......getting the first one I was ever given wrong (reproduced below)! .....much to my daughter's amusement :D

It was a cold, dark night up on the moor, and Jonathan wished
---------|-----------------|-------------------|----------------------|
---A-------------B---------------C---------------------D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now