Kent Test 2016 - what happens next?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
punkeson

Kent Test 2016 - what happens next?

Post by punkeson »

Hi all,
We are Kent Test newbies this year as my eldest dd sat the test yesterday.
I know results are due on 13th October but wondered what happens behind the scenes over the next few weeks?
I believe that if a child is a borderline pass then their composition is looked at by a panel of headteachers and they decide wether the child is in fact a pass or fail.
I've also read on here that the child's headteacher can then appeal before results are announced, if they feel that a pupil failed but should have passed.
This all happens before we officially get our results.
Have I understood this correctly?
Many thanks
x
salsa

Re: Kent Test 2016 - what happens next?

Post by salsa »

Hi,
Almost correctly. The composition gets read by a panel only if your headteacher appeals. This is done before the end of September, I believe, and parents do not get informed when it's happening.

This is a period when parents have a go at body language reading and headteachers perfect their poker faces! :D

Salsa
punkeson

Post by punkeson »

Hi Salsa, thanks that makes sense!
This is going to feel like the longest September ever!
X
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I will also add that by 'results' all you get automatically (or have in past years) is whether your child is deemed selective or not. You do not get given their score. For this you need to ask your headteacher or KCC. The score can be important for some of the grammars which admit based on score rather than just a pass. For us last year this was the more stressful experience as DD was at an independent school and the Head wanted her to stay and some schools were given out scores very quickly, but DD's school didn't.
salsa

Post by salsa »

punkeson wrote:Hi Salsa, thanks that makes sense!
This is going to feel like the longest September ever!
X
You are most welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Salsa
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

PettswoodFiona wrote:I will also add that by 'results' all you get automatically (or have in past years) is whether your child is deemed selective or not. You do not get given their score. For this you need to ask your headteacher or KCC. The score can be important for some of the grammars which admit based on score rather than just a pass. For us last year this was the more stressful experience as DD was at an independent school and the Head wanted her to stay and some schools were given out scores very quickly, but DD's school didn't.
I heard a rumour (from a very reliable source) that scores will be emailed at the same time as results this year, no waiting any more....,,
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Oooh, that would've been really good last year. It never ever made any sense why you had to grovel to the headteacher to get the score and not get it direct at the same time as the deemed selective or not email. I am sure it must have wasted huge amounts of KCC time with parents enquiring to them too. I hope for the sake of the sitters this year that you do get the score at the same time, although I appreciate it can be controversial for those who just need a pass it can be divisive if DCs (or parents) start comparing.
salsa

Post by salsa »

The comparisons and bragging will begin a little earlier, that's all!
I agree that it would save KCC a lot of admin, though.
Moreover, I hope they give the breakdown per sub test as a child may have failed one and yet obtained a pass score.
I do hope your source is right. :D

Salsa
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now