Re: Cut off scores for west Kent?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiger22

Post by tiger22 »

Does Uncle Bob or Bibliovore have any guess on what Skinners cut off will be? This is the school I am most interested in. I live inside 3 miles to the school. Scores: 109 English, 132 math, 128 Verbal, 369total. I am extremely worried this will not be good enough. In fact I am pretty much convinced it won't after reading this thread. I know of at least 5 children locally who got over 400 and even one scored basically perfect marks of 420 which is truly remarkable. Regardless of any algos/historical research, it doesn't take rocket science to know if more kids take the test, (which has happened) and more kids have higher scores, the cut off will go up. The question is how much? I can live with 2 to 5pts, and sincerely hope I am lucky. If not it will have to be TWBG, which is clearly not ranked as high, but maybe it will be for the better. My ds is extremely sporty and bright, so he may be happy there. Who knows. I am slowly trying to come to grips that this could be our only option. Any thoughts or opinions on TWBG would also greatly be appreciated , but maybe that is best for a separate thread. Brexit happening, the GBP plummeting in value and massive concerns over the British Economy, I think many more families who typically would have sent their children to independent fee paying schools have opted for grammar this year. This is a fact. Sorry for the long post, but this is a very stressful time for me, and I have lot of questions. I am seriously annoyed because I feel my ds just got nervous and should've scored higher as he has been tutored for an entire year, and currently in a highly reputable independent school. Can I appeal? Is a remark worth risking? I think not as the English component was so close but I maybe tempted to.
Sennockianmum

Post by Sennockianmum »

I am in the same boat - hoping for Judd or Skinners, have a score of 370 but live the wrong side of Sevenoaks if distance is used to separate two same scorers. Starting to look at independent back ups now.
HelloWorld123

Post by HelloWorld123 »

What is the In Catchment cutoff score for Tunbridge Wells Girls this year?
Sennockianmum

Post by Sennockianmum »

Twigs doesn't have a score, it's allocated on distance
HelloWorld123

Post by HelloWorld123 »

Thank you very much Sennockianmum for the advice. We are currently out of catchment for TGWells. We are considering to move into Catchment. Could you please advice by what time we should be moving into the Catchment.
doodles

Post by doodles »

TWGGS admissions criteria for 2017 is here:

http://www.twggs.kent.sch.uk/downloads/ ... on2017.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

My three younger children are now at TW Boys' Grammar and I cannot rate it highly enough. My daughter moved from TWGGS for the sixth form (not because there was anything wrong with TWGGS but she prefers being with boys!) and I have a son in Y10 and a son in Y7. The headteacher (who is sadly retiring at Xmas due to ill health) is fantastic but he has a good team of teachers who will hopefully carry on with his vision of the school. I don't have any experience of Skinners or Judd and didn't even look round them as I did not feel they would be right for my sons so cannot compare the two. the only downside to BG is that it is quite tatty as teh buildings are old but the dedication of many of the teachers more than makes up for that. HTH!
tiger22

Post by tiger22 »

twellsmum wrote:My three younger children are now at TW Boys' Grammar and I cannot rate it highly enough. My daughter moved from TWGGS for the sixth form (not because there was anything wrong with TWGGS but she prefers being with boys!) and I have a son in Y10 and a son in Y7. The headteacher (who is sadly retiring at Xmas due to ill health) is fantastic but he has a good team of teachers who will hopefully carry on with his vision of the school. I don't have any experience of Skinners or Judd and didn't even look round them as I did not feel they would be right for my sons so cannot compare the two. the only downside to BG is that it is quite tatty as teh buildings are old but the dedication of many of the teachers more than makes up for that. HTH!

Twellsmum, thank you very much for sharing your experience with TWBG. This is very helpful.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Judd changed its admissions policy at some point so that it is very similar to TGS - i.e. so there would effectively be one score for West Kent and another for the rest of the world? For which intake did this / does this take effect?

When that big spreadsheet appears on the Kent Test part of the Kent CC website it should all become much clearer. Uncle Bob, has the Duke of Edinburgh let slip when this will be? It just says "shortly" on the website. It's a bit of Brexit-like statement.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Last year I think - ie the current Year 7 boys.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now