TGS and WOK

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jogger

TGS and WOK

Post by jogger »

DD1 is very happily settled into TGS.

DD2 may have a good enough score for TGS - early days yet : )
We have looked around WOK and (for a few different reasons) are are thinking that it may be a better suit for DD2.

Are there any families here who have daughters in both schools?
If so, are you happy with these different schools for your DDs?
How does it work for you?
woollywomble

Re: TGS and WOK

Post by woollywomble »

I'm in exactly the same position, so watching with interest, although the whole site issue with WoK is making me nervous!
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

I have daughters at both schools and very happy so far with the different choices.DD1 is in year 8 at TGS and thriving.
DD2 in year 7 at Weald so very early days but so far so good.
Both girls chose those schools for themselves and I think it benefits both of them to be at different schools without competing with each other or being compared.
DD1 is exceptionally bright and loving the intellectual rigours including Latin. She is also an academic all-rounder so will enjoy the IB I think.
DD2 is a much more laid back child and bright but not exceptionally so. We felt Weald had a more relaxed atmosphere and a more nurturing feel which suits DD2 as she is a sensitive girl.
If you want any more information, please feel free to message me.
jogger

Post by jogger »

Thank you for your reply PurpleDog.

It's uncanny but you have more or less described my 2 DDs there : )

DD1 eats, sleeps, breathes schoolwork. Very self-motivated and laps up new challenges, always aiming high.
DD2 is also bright but is always being compared to DD1.
She isn't so confident (also quite sensitive) and quite often thinks she's rubbish (far from it). The wonderful year 8 girl from WoK who showed us around on open morning really sold the school to us - DD2 was positively beaming at all the answers to her questions.
Another fact for us to consider is that (unlike her sister), if she gained a place at TGS, she would be probably nearer the middle to lower end of ability (I know it's not an exact science but that's a realistic estimate). Whereas, we're guessing that at WoK, she's be more comfortable, ability-wise.
jogger

Post by jogger »

And hi woollywomble (sorry I missed your message before).
I'm not so nervous about the new site - just about choosing the right school.
New site, new facilities, excellent teachers and room for more children.
I know it's not how everyone is feeling but it doesn't affect my choice at all : )
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

jogger wrote:Thank you for your reply PurpleDog.

It's uncanny but you have more or less described my 2 DDs there : )

DD1 eats, sleeps, breathes schoolwork. Very self-motivated and laps up new challenges, always aiming high.
DD2 is also bright but is always being compared to DD1.
She isn't so confident (also quite sensitive) and quite often thinks she's rubbish (far from it). The wonderful year 8 girl from WoK who showed us around on open morning really sold the school to us - DD2 was positively beaming at all the answers to her questions.
Another fact for us to consider is that (unlike her sister), if she gained a place at TGS, she would be probably nearer the middle to lower end of ability (I know it's not an exact science but that's a realistic estimate). Whereas, we're guessing that at WoK, she's be more comfortable, ability-wise.
Sounds to me as though you may have already made your decision. ;-)
piggymom

Post by piggymom »

wow, how interesting.

My DD1 and DD2 are exactly as yours, as you all described. Very interesting.

My DD1, now year 6, really eyes on TGS while my DD2 who accompanied to all the visits, really liked WoK; and that would probably be what we would be trying.
cornholio

Post by cornholio »

I'm torn between these two!

My daughter has score that would put her mid-way in TOGS entry and her teacher says she'd be absolutely fine there work-wise. Really impressed with the progressive philosophy, rounded curriculum, great extra-curricular activities, calm focused atmosphere and of course the results are outstanding. Daughter really wanted to go when she visited open evening.

But also really impressed by Weald - in comparison it equals or tops TOGS in so many ways, great campus, amazing views, better stocked library, great workshop facilities (she is an all rounder but loves craft, woodwork and art), new sports hall, and somehow a livelier atmosphere when visited both during the school day - my daughter described it as 'spark'. We live in Tonbridge so the Sevenoaks annexe isn't an issue beyond the inevitable organisational focus it will have for the management in the coming years (which could be draining or energising - probably both).

We know girls at both schools doing well and really enjoying them. Of course we are so lucky to have a choice of two great schools like this. My daughter likes both but something clicked at Weald. Not sure if it was pizza she saw in the canteen or the rumour that they stocked Manga books in the library :D

The upshot is that I'm giving her a few days to talk to her friends and think about it but it is looking very much like Weald, even if at the back of mind I'm regretting passing up an amazing opportunity at TOGS - it's just not enough to over-rule her evident enthusiasm for Weald.

It also helps that sixth form has become so much more fluid between schools since I was at school, so down the line she can try somewhere else if she wants to.

Anyway, been good to put this down in type - the forum has been a great help through a very stressful time, thanks to all who participate.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now