Its not too late....................

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

Sorry if I offended people but I stand by my belief that Christmas Day is not the time to be thinking about buying test papers and testing children for an exam that is in three weeks time. Christmas is a time to chill and spend time with family and friends or go to Church and think about the true meaning of Christmas. I do not think it is the right time to be worrying about putting children under pressure and cramming them in the final three weeks before the exam. They are ten years old and need to be children....... but I won't post again and agree that we are all entitled to our own opinion about the importance of 11+. I have two children one who passed easily and the other who failed miserably - they are both loving their very different secondary schools and predicted good GCSEs. We must remember that passing the 11+ is not the be all and end all and there is life beyond it. I have a son due to take the exam next October and agree this forum is wonderful place to share advice but we must keep everything in proportion.

Post by Guest »

but not everyone is Christian therefore many are using this holiday as an opportunity to revise.

Also, we have just celebrated other religious festivals and a wedding prior to the December holidays and need to make up time. Yes, the children are ten/eleven but the parents are the ones who will gauge how much the children need to do and when.
I have a son due to take the exam next October and agree this forum is wonderful place to share advice but we must keep everything in proportion.
Then why post in the first instance when you are advocating tolerance of others' circumstances and opinions? :?

Post by Guest »

Christmas is about the only time that most parents are not working and are spending quality time with their kids. Quality time to me involves making sure that I do my last minute revision with my son, by taking it easy with him and also making sure that he enjoys the festive period. I would rather do my final revision with him just for one christmas out of many christmases to come than to be complacent and he misses the cut off point by 2 or 3 marks. This will be just one christmas out of many.

thank you,
Grace.
sw61

Post by sw61 »

Anonymous wrote:Have you nothing better to do on christmas day than post here?
Did not post but I read posts every day? OK many times a day. If we had an exam in Jan 2008 then if the chance arose I would sieze the moment . ( something learnt on Hanan and Earlybirds ASD programs). :D :D And do some work.

Each to their own.

Merry Xmas & a Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

stevew61
cindy

Post by cindy »

Dear guest,

I have taken on board what you have said..

I hope that all goes well for you and your son in October.

Kind regards to all.............

Cindyx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest
Anonymous wrote:Have you nothing better to do on christmas day than post here?
I am going to join the chorus on this. :D Like Steve and others, I have also been watching the forum throughout Christmas and not just because I am a Moderator.

I know only too well that those nagging thoughts about the 11+ have a really bad habit of not checking the calendar and saying to each other "Hey guys, it's Christmas Day - we're off duty!"

Two years ago I was waiting for an 11+ appeal hearing for my son in early January. I was worried sick with nerves and couldn't eat most of my Christmas lunch. I recall others posting their support and encouragement to me at the time, in a similar way to Cindy's post this year.

I was checking the forum in case I could help anyone who might have been in the same state I once was and needed my support this time round. Perhaps I could find other things to do, but I doubt they would be a better use of less than an half an hour of my time over 2 days.

Please don't be deterred from posting here Guest - you may need us next year when your 4th child takes the 11+, and if you need us we will be happy to help you as always. But if you want the quiet life, I suggest that you don't make a controversial post when the forum is in a Christmas lull, because people (quite possibly even tipsy ones) from all around the country will be drawn to your post like a moth to a flame!

Talking of which, what am I doing in Kent? :shock: And I've only had one glass of wine!

Sally-Anne
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

Just finished my first drink of the festive season... A bit tipsy now! Wifey off work which means kids off homework for two days (she doesn't believe in 'pushing children'). Now that she is gone back to work, this is my chance to catch up on the time lost. Homework sheets are ready and kids know that 5:00 pm is the time. We have a lot of catching up to do. Christmas comes every year. Your child will never be 11 again. Pasing 11+ may not be the biggest thing in life but giving it your best shot is. One thing I always tell my kid, 'waste time and time will waste you' after that it is up to them.
kent

kent

Post by kent »

Dear all, I personally wish there were more people out there like the lovely Ms Cindy, Sally-Anne, Etienne, Peter and Co.
Where others will hold their learned 'information' they are only too willing to pass it on.
Completely selfless people and reiterating that they are only volunteers or even meerely just lovely human beings whom have happenend to come across this forum offering help to others!!!!
Christmas IS a time for giving, Ms Cindy never suggested she would be testing her daughter that day, just logging onto the forum to give advice and help to others, as that is what you do this time of year isnt it...GIVE.
If Ms Cindy wasnt offended by Guest's less than festive comments, others certainly were.

Good luck Cindy and Melanie!!
x x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now