Kent Test 2016 scores by primary school - now available

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Kent Test 2016 scores by primary school - now available

Post by ToadMum »

salsa wrote:How weird! You are right. 106 minimum per subject and 320 overall.
Thanks. I wonder where in the process the error crept in? I would have thought that the KCC master file would have the assessment calculated automatically, rather than someone having to go through the list marking 'G' or 'H', surely?

I do hope the results letter showed the correct assessment.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sennockianmum

Post by Sennockianmum »

N 112 105 127 344
Y 104 108 103 315

Two results of a HT assessment. Seems very unfair on the child who scored 344, and taking it purely on face value seems pretty inconsistent.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sennockianmum wrote:N 112 105 127 344
Y 104 108 103 315

Two results of a HT assessment. Seems very unfair on the child who scored 344, and taking it purely on face value seems pretty inconsistent.
Possibly the 344 one's scores were judged to be a fair reflection of the child's abilities, or even that there was a suspicion that s/he had only done that well with assistance, whereas the other child had some kind of well documented catastrophe (e.g. undergoing treatment for an ongoing health problem?) but their previous working level had been consistently well above what the scores indicated?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sennockianmum

Post by Sennockianmum »

ToadMum wrote:
Y 104 108 103 315

Possibly the 344 one's scores were judged to be a fair reflection of the child's abilities, or even that there was a suspicion that s/he had only done that well with assistance, whereas the other child had some kind of well documented catastrophe (e.g. undergoing treatment for an ongoing health problem?) but their previous working level had been consistently well above what the scores indicated?
That's all very possible (hence my 'at face value' comment), but 344 is a solid score, and one mark under on a English paper where the raw scores are very sensitive, seems very unfair to not get through a HT review. Does a HT review go into extenuating circumstances or is that left more to the appeal post allocation?
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

Sennockianmum wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
Y 104 108 103 315

That's all very possible (hence my 'at face value' comment), but 344 is a solid score, and one mark under on a English paper where the raw scores are very sensitive, seems very unfair to not get through a HT review. Does a HT review go into extenuating circumstances or is that left more to the appeal post allocation?
HT review doesn't look at individual circumstances eg extenuating etc. It looks at the writing paper usually, and if a child is one mark under on English it may be that the writing paper wasn't strong. In May time usually, individual appeals are heard from parents where extenuating circumstances can be presented to an appeal panel. The parents will be appealing against non qualification and also potentially oversubscription if the school is full.
Sennockianmum

Post by Sennockianmum »

If the HT review doesn't look at extenuating circumstances I am wondering how the child who failed two papers got assessed as Grammar?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The school can appeal once it gets the results, they use evidence of the child' s school work and Teacher Assessment of how the child usually performs.
susanass

Post by susanass »

yoyo123 wrote:The school can appeal once it gets the results, they use evidence of the child' s school work and Teacher Assessment of how the child usually performs.
So the HTA's which are put forward and are not successful, should not have been put forward in the first place maybe? If they were strong pupils, the panel would have agreed with the HT. This is more of a concern for me with regards to inconsistencies than whether the panel found them suitable or not. Looking at my primary, there are a few pupils who were put forward for a HTA with lower overall score and lower individual scores than my dc, 2 of them even missed on 2 where as my dc only missed out on one. All of them were deemed NOT suitable by the panel. This tells me they should not have been put forward and my dc, who missed out by 2 overall points may have stood a chance had the HT chosen my dc above one of the other pupils. My dc has performed consistently well throughout primary. I wish I hadn't seen this spreadsheet now as this raises questions for me regarding inconsistencies of whom the HT chose to put forward for the HTA.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

You can still appeal once you get a school allocated. Children who do not get through the head teacher appeal often get through on appeal afterwards.
susanass

Post by susanass »

yoyo123 wrote:You can still appeal once you get a school allocated. Children who do not get through the head teacher appeal often get through on appeal afterwards.
Thank you. Do you know if appeal panels put through as many children as they see fit, or is there a limit on how many they can put through? We are considering an appeal but am just concerned if there are lots of others appealing with higher scores than my dc. thank you