Writing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bexley Mum 2

Writing

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

My son and his friend have just returned from doing the Kent practice papers as out-of-county applicants. They didn't do the writing exercise today (which I wasn't really expecting them to) but they are both adamant that they were told this morning that they don't have to do a writing exercise in the real thing next week.

Does anyone know if that's likely to be true? I could understand if one of them had misunderstood but if they both believe it to be the case I'm wondering if it is. :?
l_bexley

Post by l_bexley »

Son also told me that they won't be doing the writing exercise next week.

Can this be correct?
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

How odd - you'd think they'd tell the parents wouldn't you? I wonder if the "in-County" applicants will be doing it?

If it's true I'm very relieved as it cuts down the volume of work they have to do in one morning. But if it is true, I wonder why they are there for such a long time next week? (8.30-2.15). And I wonder why they were told to take a pen? Surely they just need a pencil for the multiple choice answersheet? :? :? :?
ergo

Post by ergo »

My daughter sat the test today as out of county at TW boys grammar and was told that they would sit the writing task next week as we all expected. They didn't do it today as the practice was shorter and the head told us that in his experience they have never needed to look at the practice papers. He said that after six months the council burned them (that's what I believe he said). Maybe your son and his friend were confused, maybe my daughter got it wrong? I would prepare (not that you can really) for the writing task but I understand that it would only be used in appeal cases or borderline pass/fail. Hope that helps. Good luck to your son next week. By the way were you suprised to hear that there were more children than usual sitting as out of county this year?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

My child sat her practice papers on Friday in her Kent school. She will do the 'real' papers on the 8th and 9th this week. She only did practice papers in Math, VR and NVR NOT writing however has been told that she will do the writing test as planned next week.

I assumed that the need for practice papers for the Math, VR and NVR is greater as they will anticipate how it will be set out and not be confused on the day. However, English/Writing is usually straightforward so I have assumed that there was no need to practice the writing paper.

It seems apparent that the writing paper is the least important of the four, especially as they will not mark unless borderline.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now