Verbal Reasoning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sparkle

Post by sparkle »

I agree completely, didn't realise that not all children have sat the test so apologies.
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

dadofkent wrote:Disgraceful. NFER/Kent LEA setting questions that test the intelligence and reasoning of candidates, and not how thoroughly they've been drilled and coached. Should'nt be allowed. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jacko

Post by jacko »

In a perfect world I echo your sentiments exactly - these tests should be a measure of pure intelligence and suitability for grammar school education, with the children being sat down blind with no-one having any idea of what the tests may contain or even exactly when they may be held.

As life is not perfect, we can only do our best for our own children and give them any advantage we can! If that means tutoring to keep up with all the other DDs and DSs who are being tutored, or those in private schools with classes less than 1/2 the size of state schools and correspondingly double the time for each and every child, or even just with the advantage of having an older sibling who can tell them what the test is like, than we are going to do just that. This is the real world.
jacko

Post by jacko »

In a perfect world I echo your sentiments exactly - these tests should be a measure of pure intelligence and suitability for grammar school education, with the children being sat down blind with no-one having any idea of what the tests may contain or even exactly when they may be held.

As life is not perfect, we can only do our best for our own children and give them any advantage we can! If that means tutoring to keep up with all the other DDs and DSs who are being tutored, or those in private schools with classes less than 1/2 the size of state schools and correspondingly double the time for each and every child, or even just with the advantage of having an older sibling who can tell them what the test is like, than we are going to do just that. This is the real world.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

True, but part of the tutoring process should be to get them to approach questions or topics in a logical way...

The tests are after all to test their reasoning. I still maintain, that a child who is "grammar school material" would be able to work round a minor setback like an unknown question type.
katel

Post by katel »

"The tests are after all to testtheir reasoning. I still maintain, that a child who is "grammar school material" would be able to work round a set back like an unknown question type."

I agree. And if they can't I would worry a bit that grammar school might be a bit of a struggle for them. Grammar school is not the right school for every child. I thik some people get so understandably caught up in the selection process that they forget there are 7 years of school afterwards.