Appeals by head before results known

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kentish maid

Post by kentish maid »

I understand that the head of your primary school knows the 11 plus results before they are released, and can recommend that a child who has failed should pass. Does anyone know if Kent head teachers have some sort of ranking system for this purpose?
cindy

Post by cindy »

Indeed they do.

The teachers are very reluctant to admit that they know the scores early,
but they do. This maybe a week or two earlier, in order to allow them the opertunity to make an appleal, if they think it is appropriate, and get a response.

Last year, I did'nt find out until I had the official result, that an appeal had peen put forward on Christophers behalf. I was allowed sight of this appeal
then.

I understood that a number of these Head's appeals were put forward last year, from various schools, but I did not hear of any that were granted.
I understand that everyone still went to a full formal appeal. I have asked the Head this year, that if my Daughter were not to pass, would she appeal on her behalf, and I have been told that this will be done.
I do know of a child who the Head did not appeal for, as it was not felt the child was Grammar School material.

Hope this helps

Cindy
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I do know of several cases where teh school has appealed on the child's behalf. Signs are usually books being gathered and spirited off.

I'm not sure about ranking though.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

My child's head has told all parents who have a child taking the kent test that she would like to have a conversation soon with them regarding possible appeals etc.

My husband and I have had our 'conversation' and have been told they will appeal on my child's behalf if she doesn't pass but this will be done without us knowing until allocation day.

Yoyo is right though, the school will collect recent maths, english, science books to send off examples of work.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it's a tense time. I remember my daughter being in tears because they had taken books from several children and they didn't want to see hers..therefore she MUST have failed.....
Scorpio2111

Post by Scorpio2111 »

I work as a TA in the school where my daughter goes and she has just sat the 11+. Her teacher has told me that they will know the results by the end of this month. Previously the head teacher has appealed but we have had a new Head and last year she was told that no appeals would be made for any of the children and the same applies this year - It's almost like they are not a bit interested in the 11+. Our kids were given one practice test at school for the 11+ but now, what with Sats coming up, all these booster groups have been set up for before and after school, just to make the school look good. It really makes me cross.
perplexed

perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Gosh. Surely as a Kent headteacher in a state primary she should comply with the system of appealing for a child who she has evidence is in the top 25% of the population. Or is that in the last two years the school does not anyone who falls into this category?

Can't someone complain to the LEA if she is so openly breaching the system?

Good luck.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Scorpio - don't get me started!! My son has been complaining lately that they don't do any PE at school at the moment - because they have to do revision instead. And the booster classes! He's been put in one for English despite 3 level 5s at the end of last year. I'm almost tempted to say he's busy on a Tuesday and can't stay behind - or even worse, book a holiday for SATS week!

I remember my 13 year old getting far more wound up and worried during Y6 SATS than he did for the 11+ - because his teacher kept telling them how important their SATS were and never mentioned a thing about the 11+.
Scorpio2111

Post by Scorpio2111 »

Bexley Mum 2 - Yes it really is making me cross. My daughter has worked so hard, especially over the last year or so because she really wants to pass and go to Grammar, as with all the others that want to pass. I feel like you, I feel like booking a holiday fornthat week, it's only because I work there and can'r have holidays outside during term time that I won't. Last year, my nephew, at the same school, was in top set for everything like my daughter, he missed passing by 3 marks. The school would not appeal for him, despite telling my sister that he was more than capable of passing. My sister went it alone but they weren't helpful at all in handing over evidence of his ability.
A group of kids from the year 5/6 classes where I work are going to special breakfast booster groups and others are going to a maths booster group during assembly time. No one was interested in the 11+ kids. Last year hardly any teachers could tell you how many kids passed. I asked a year 6 teacher how many had passed and he said " 6 or 7 I think". It was in fact 13 but no-one bothered about it. :x
Headache

Post by Headache »

My daughters schools didnt do any preparation at all last year. When they went back to school after christmas they sat a revision paper on the fri before and the monday before, and that was it!!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now