scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

scores

Post by moved »

Does anyone know for certain whether or not it is county policy that we can ask the head for the scores?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

sorry I don;t know about county policy ornot. The school gave me my son's scores when I asked.

I had driven allteh way home to get teh letter, could see it on teh mat, buut had left my house keys at work.The school took pity on me!

Have you tried e mailing or ringing KCC?
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Yes. You can ask your primary school for your child's scores (which they have known for about a month now) although they can't give these to you until allocation day.
thehorder

Post by thehorder »

We have juist received a letter from the head stating that non selective children will have a letter waiting for them on the 5th with their score results. The children with selective places offered will not get their results yet. We were told this id due to parents appeals.... not sure of the connection. The head apologised and said it was county policy. What do you reckon? Can't understand how knowing the scores for selective children will matter, unless I am missing something... any ideas? Was also told pass mark 120 120 115.

Head also said do not make appointments to discuss the results until we have actually had the results... she must be a mind reader!! I was thinking of planning ahead and making an appointment for wed. morning, we are a large school with three class intake so you can imagine how that phone will be ringing trying to get into seeing the head. Not only for passes but for all those children who have not got their chosen non-selective school.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I think if I was told my child had passed I would be so grateful and happy I certainly wouldn't be desperate to know the scores, I reckon I could easily wait a few more days knowing she had the school she wanted! :)
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Hello Horder
I suspect that that is for the convenience of your primary school who anticipate being swamped by frantic parents whose children did not pass and want to deal with them first. Last year the offer letters from Kent actually instructed parents to get the scores from their primary schools. At our school results were given to all parents and children who wanted them on results day. Of course things may have changed for this year. Bet they haven't though!
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Sorry Horder's school,
I have just checked the Kent timetable for 2008 secondary transfer and it does indeed say that children should not be given their marks on 3 March, just told whether they were assessed as suitable for grammar school or not (and the school at which they are being offered a place). The offer letters will state why any other school application was unsuccessful and enclose appeal and contact details.

Interestingly, I have not found any guidance on when children [u]should[/u] get their scores....
katel

Post by katel »

I think the hoarder's Head has made a mistake - unless I misunderstood the post. In Kent, all children get a letter saying what school they have been allocated, selective or non-selective. These letters come from the Authority direct to the parents - not through the school. The school already know all the results. Heat teacher's appeals have already taken place - the next round of appeals is up to the parents, and follows the allocation letter.

The schools have the scores, and parents can ask schools directly for the. There have been a couple of cases (can't remember where) where schools have decided not to give out scores, so parents have had to go back to the Authority to get the actual marks.

Scores are important if a child has just missed a pass and a "strong" fail would make for a strong appeal. But PLEASE think very carefully before you tell your children their score. At our school last year there was a lot of "Well, I scored better than you" and "I passed but not very well, how will I manage at grammar school?" and even a bit of "You only just passed, you shouldn't be going to grammar school at all" and EVEN one case of "You shouldn't have got in at all, you only made it on a Headteacher's appeal because your mum and dad split up and they were sorry for you"

Be happy if they've got the school of your choice - don't go into too much detail!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Katel I am well and truly shocked about those comments. As we are on the Medway/Kent border most children took the Medway test too. Scores were actually on the letter and children knew them. I didn't hear any of these comments from my child and I truly hope now that there wasn't any of this going on!
Maybe there is a case for not knowing scores unless deemed not selective and appealing.
thehorder

Post by thehorder »

Katel

The letter from the head is in addition to the letter from the county with the allocation.

"For thos parents whose child is NOT offerred a selective place, a letter will be available for collection on the 5th March. The letter will detail the results they achieved."

"If your child is offered a selective place, I am unable to supply you with the results at this time - this is due to the fact that there is still the opportunity for parents to appeal - not my rules!"

Interested to know what difference this would make.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now