11+ Fail / Grammar test pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Mrs Rats
Are you planning to appeal the Kent test fail? If so, I assume this is because you wish to go on the waiting list for another grammar which does not accept the Dover test. To be blunt, if this is your intention I think that you have very little chance of success.

However, your daughter has already qualified for DGG (by virtue of the Dover test) so there is no need for such an appeal for her to go on the waiting list for a place at that school. DGG has been oversubscribed for the last 2 years so it seems likely that it is oversubscribed again and has filled its places with children with a higher priority than your daughter (siblings, children who live closer to the school than you etc.).

Have you phoned the school to ask whether they expect to take more girls off the waiting list? Perhaps they could tell you how far out their catchment area has extended this year so that you can see whether you just missed a place and have a good chance of a second-round place or are miles out?
perplexed

perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Yes I would agree that the 11+ test scores quoted are not the "marginal" fail that the appeal system is normally aimed at so I cannot imagine such an appeal ever being successful.

However perhaps if there was stacks of other academic evidence to show that the test results were miles off the mark, and some highly significant event / incident / serious illness etc which resulted in the candidate falling miles short of a pass on the day, that might be another matter.

I am not familiar with the Dover test. Are the results standardised in any way to the population as a whole? If so, they might provide useful evidence that Mrs Rat's daughter is in the top 25% of the population by some other measure.

If it were me, I would concentrate on trying to get in to Dover, as suggested by the respondent above, but also trying to get in to a more convenient non-selective school. Appeal for a closer non-selective, and go on as many waiting lists as possible. But it does look as though, with the benefit of hindsight, the three original CAF choices were ill-advised.

Good luck.
MrsRats

Post by MrsRats »

hooter wrote:My daughter's results were VR 135 , NVR 138 and Maths 104. I WILL NOT BE APPEALING.

There comes a time when you have to accept the rules as they are set out. If they are not good enough to be accepted at Grammar then you have to accept it.
Hooter
Thanks for your comment, which we have taken on board, everyone to their own. Personally I believe you have a really good case for appeal with those scores.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Upon returning to home this evening we had a letter confirming a place for our daughter at Dover Girls Grammar. If we hadn't got this we'd have fought tooth and nail to ensure we had done everything we could have to given her a chance.
SARJAN

Post by SARJAN »

My daughter acheived verb138 non verb125 and math 107! However she has been accepted for Grammar I assume on headteacher appeal. If you dont try you may forever wonder. Just wanted to show they do accept a lower score although I do accept good general school books reports or support from school makes a difference. It all seems so unfair when you read of posts similar to your own. Best wishes anyways.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

hooter wrote:My daughter's results were VR 135 , NVR 138 and Maths 104. I WILL NOT BE APPEALING.

There comes a time when you have to accept the rules as they are set out. If they are not good enough to be accepted at Grammar then you have to accept it.
Those results do not suggest to me a lack of grammar ability. The NVR and VR, considered by some LEA's to provide the best indication of inherent ability, are exceptionally good. A bad day on the arithmatic?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now