Scores for Harvey Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sunshine

Scores for Harvey Grammar

Post by Sunshine »

Hi, I have been reading lots of posts and am a little confused.

My son is overjoyed he has been offered a place at Harvey Grammar, Folkestone. However his scores were:

Verbal 128
Verbal Non-reasoning 107
Maths 140

His standardised average is 120, the school tell us.

Based on what I have read, he should not have been offered a place. Could anyone help explani this to me?

Many Thanks
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

The headteacher at his primary school may have made a successful appeal on his behalf. This is done before places are allocated and without telling parents (because the primary school isn't allowed to tell you anything about his results at that stage). If this happened his marks would have stayed the same but he would be treated as having "passed" when allocating schools.

Have you asked the primary school? They might not volunteer the information because they might not want him to know that an appeal was necessary in case it dented his confidence.
louise72

Harvey

Post by louise72 »

Well there is hope for my son yet then as he wants to go to
harvey but he failed head appeal but scores were vr127 nvr 137 maths 113.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Many thanks. Louise, this is making even less sense then. I will certainly speak to the school. I'll let you know what's said - you never know what info helps someone else.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Hi, have been to the school, and as was suggested my boy did indeed get through after a HT appeal. His teachers of last year and this year both felt he was going to go through easily. His previous NVR paper (September) had been standardised at 138, he achieved 107 this time around.

The relevant additional work was sent to the panel and on the second time of looking he was awarded a place.

I was extremely cautious about him getting through, and worried he may struggle, but I have spoken to both teachers and the HT through the course of today and they are all adamant that is not the case and he has the ability to do well.

So I am extremely relieved and very grateful to the school for putting the effort in to get him in to the preferred school.
louise72

Post by louise72 »

Hi i have just found out s class mate got same scores and got through on head teachers appeal so shes off to girls grammar. So I now have high hopes that my son will get in on parents appeal.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Best of luck with it, it does seem a very strange situation, the inconsistencies are quite acute. Do you know why your HT did not appeal?
louise72

Post by louise72 »

Headteacher did appeal but advised me that only 2 students got in on appeal as is usually the case and apparently parent appeals are more successful. I also spoke to choice advisors who informed me that harvey is not oversubscribed at the moment you must have been one of the lucky ones sunshine although marks were excellent

Louisex
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Makes more sense now, well certainly sounds like you should be fine, glad you spoke to the advisor. See you there!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now