appeal advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally

appeal advice

Post by Sally »

my daughter took both medway and kent tests. she did'nt pass the medway test, then passed the kent test.

when applying using the caf we entered a medway grammar school as first preferance as we had intended appealing, followed by 3 kent grammars and a kent high school.

she has not been offered a grammar school place, but the last choice being told all of the schools are over subscribed.

i am confused as to whether all preferences will be looked at in order or just kent schools when appealing to the kent choices.

anyone have any advice or information on our unusual position?

thanks in advance
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it might be worth posting this in the appeals section as well.
Sally

Post by Sally »

thanks, will do.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Sorry, let me clarify: you put a Kent grammar 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and passed the Kent test but didn't get a place?

You must be a medway candidate to have 5 choices on the CAF form - were the schools you applied to of a great distance to you? What was their oversubscription criteria, distance or score?

Either way, as I understand it, even if you had put Kent grammars 1st, 2nd and 3rd it would not have changed the outcome as the schools do not know which order you have placed them. It seems they were oversubscribed. Have you spoken to Kent Admissions?
Sally

Post by Sally »

hi

yes my daughter is a medway candidate. we live close to both areas.
like many others we took advantage of this fact and after looking carefully at the last few years allocations took a calculated risk in choices -obviously backfired.

have'nt been able to speak to admissions team as yet, although choice advisor confirmed all schools are over subscribed. can only assume distance from school is problem.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Hello Sally
I don't think that it will have made any difference to your Kent applications that you put a Medway school first.

However, unless this has changed since last year, most Kent grammars (including MGGS and Invicta if you applied to either) give priority to candidates who live in their "scheme of education" in their oversubscription criteria. As you live in Medway you are outside this priority area so your daughter will have come below any girls living in the scheme of education when allocating places. Unfortunately for you the "scheme of education" in question comprises ALL the Kent CC 11+ areas across the county. Thus girls living miles away on the south coast would take priority over your daughter.

I suggest you check the individual school entries in the Kent Secondary Admissions booklet to see if this applies to the schools you listed.
c'est la vie

Post by c'est la vie »

Kent99 wrote:Hello Sally
I don't think that it will have made any difference to your Kent applications that you put a Medway school first.

However, unless this has changed since last year, most Kent grammars (including MGGS and Invicta if you applied to either) give priority to candidates who live in their "scheme of education" in their oversubscription criteria. As you live in Medway you are outside this priority area so your daughter will have come below any girls living in the scheme of education when allocating places. Unfortunately for you the "scheme of education" in question comprises ALL the Kent CC 11+ areas across the county. Thus girls living miles away on the south coast would take priority over your daughter.

I suggest you check the individual school entries in the Kent Secondary Admissions booklet to see if this applies to the schools you listed.
I'm not sure if you implying that Kent will give priority to applicants living within the boundary of Kent's LEA - if you are then the Greenwich Judgement does not allow LA's to do this.

"The Greenwich Judgement of 1989 established that LA schools may not give priority to children simply because of the fact that they live in the authority�s administrative area. (This does not mean that admission authorities cannot use certain oversubscription criteria, such as the catchment area rule which is permitted under the Rotherham judgement of 1997.)

So, there's a distinction between "Who can apply?" (answer = anyone. There must be no discrimination), and
"What happens if the school is full?" (preference can be given to children in the catchment area, but not to children in the rest of the LA's administrative area.) "
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Not exactly. Children in areas of Kent which have comprehensive systems (e.g. around Paddock Wood or Tenterden) or have a 13+ entry grammar system (Cranbrook) are also outside the 11+ scheme of education. Schools in those areas give priority to residents in their area at the expense of Kent children in 11+ areas. This whole system probably counts as a catchment area thing, therefore.

If you doubt me check the school oversubscription criteria. You will see that for a number of schools being in the right scheme of education comes below such things as sibling links but above distance from home to school.
c'est la vie

Post by c'est la vie »

Kent99 wrote:Not exactly. Children in areas of Kent which have comprehensive systems (e.g. around Paddock Wood or Tenterden) or have a 13+ entry grammar system (Cranbrook) are also outside the 11+ scheme of education. Schools in those areas give priority to residents in their area at the expense of Kent children in 11+ areas. This whole system probably counts as a catchment area thing, therefore.

If you doubt me check the school oversubscription criteria. You will see that for a number of schools being in the right scheme of education comes below such things as sibling links but above distance from home to school.
I don't doubt you. I was just wondering whether the above would come under the jurisdiction (forgive the pun!) of the Greenwich Judgement.

I'm not sure what you define as 'scheme of education'. The new Admissions Code of Practice would seem to suggest that such practices are not in accordance with the Code.

I am totally confused now...but such are the logistics of education in Kent that I shouldn't be surprised at any shenenigans that go on here. :?
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

It's all set out in tedious detail in the admissions booklet, complete with rather vague map!